Visual effects on low health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FakeTruth View Post
    But have you tried it yet? If you haven't you can have no opinion about it, really.
    Why then did you post that screenshot, if not to provide people with some sort of idea - and thus opinion - of it?

Comment

That'd be kinda neat. Another thing that'd go well with this is blood trails behind wounded players, like tactical ops had if you remember that mod for ut1.
      It would be kind of interfering to some people to have their screen changing color though, I keep a good eye on my health.

Comment

Originally posted by Malachor View Post
        I disagree that I can't have an opinion. Just because I feel that I only need to see a screenshot of something, doesn't mean that my opinion isn't as valid as anyone else's.
        But it is my opinion, not anyone else's.
        And what you do with your mod is your choice, as my decision not to play it is my choice.
        Originally posted by Xyx View Post
        Why then did you post that screenshot, if not to provide people with some sort of idea - and thus opinion - of it?
        What I mean, is that it's quite different in the game.. the screen isn't always the same it's dynamically changing. The screenshot is just for an impression, it's not a full description.

And Malachor, you're saying you will not play an entire mod, just based on some screen effects when you have low health? And by the way the client can choose to turn it on or off in their INI file (or I might have forgot to put that in, but it was the plan)

Comment

I cannot speak for Malachor but there are tons of mods that I will not play based on one screenshot. There's tons of stuff out there, and that includes tons of **** stuff. Gotta have some standards. Many screenshots contain dead giveaways regarding the overall quality of the mod. For instance, any map with a ceiling consisting of one flat, tiling texture is probably ****, since none of the really skilled mappers ever make ceilings like that.

I just might try the mod you advertised, though. I can see past the limitations imposed by a (static) screenie. Maybe it wasn't the best screenie possible to showcase the effect anyway.

Comment

Well I had a look at the trailer on the first page, and haven't changed my mind about it.
            the screen isn't always the same it's dynamically changing.
            But it's still blurred.

And how many people decide not to play games from looking at screenshots? From what I've seen in comment sections, a few, maybe not everyone, but still some do.

Comment

I cannot speak for Malachor but there are tons of mods that I will not play based on one screenshot. There's tons of stuff out there, and that includes tons of **** stuff. Gotta have some standards. Many screenshots contain dead giveaways regarding the overall quality of the mod. For instance, any map with a ceiling consisting of one flat, tiling texture is probably ****, since none of the really skilled mappers ever make ceilings like that.

I just might try the mod you advertised, though. I can see past the limitations imposed by a (static) screenie. Maybe it wasn't the best screenie possible to showcase the effect anyway.
              I know! It's the worst map ever lol, but it wasn't about the map XD. And that map is more about gameplay than looks, it's an invasion map...

Originally posted by Malachor View Post
              Well I had a look at the trailer on the first page, and haven't changed my mind about it.

But it's still blurred.

And how many people decide not to play games from looking at screenshots? From what I've seen in comment sections, a few, maybe not everyone, but still some do.
              Still, people apparently like to play the game, even with blurry screens. As our main server is ranked 35th on GameTrackers and still rising. Though I have to admit, it's a mutator and we're hijacking TDM players. But many people stay to play, and become regulars

PS: Aww dammit, this really sucks, server status has been reset because of issues that GT can't get the playerlist from our server... well guess its up to you if you believe it was 35th I believe that once the issues are solved we'll be back that high in like 3 weeks..

Comment

that map is more about gameplay than looks, it's an invasion map...
                Gameplay and looks are not mutually exclusive. In fact, if someone has devoted great care to looks, chances are they also devoted great care to gameplay. First impressions really count.

Comment

Gameplay and looks are not mutually exclusive. In fact, if someone has devoted great care to looks, chances are they also devoted great care to gameplay. First impressions really count.
                  From what you say, it seems like you've never played invasion on UT2004. This map was was one of the most popular maps on UT2004 with RPG Invasion, along with tons of other ugly maps

Comment

From what you say, it seems like you've never played invasion on UT2004. This map was was one of the most popular maps on UT2004 with RPG Invasion, along with tons of other ugly maps
                    true dat. 2k4 rpg invasion had mostly ugly textured blocks xD

Comment

it seems like you've never played invasion on UT2004.
                      Your assumption-based conclusion probably reveals more about you than me. I have, in fact, played Invasion. I guess I just set higher standards than "ugly textured blocks".

Comment

Your assumption-based conclusion probably reveals more about you than me. I have, in fact, played Invasion. I guess I just set higher standards than "ugly textured blocks".
                        It's not an assumption nor a conclusion, it was a possibility. That's why I posted it, so you can say whether you did or didn't play invasion. I have, by the way, no problem with 'revealing' myself, I'm just saying what's on my mind.
                        And those standards of you might be limiting you to enjoy great maps. I hope my standards are as low as they can get, so I can enjoy anything.

They have in fact, nothing to do with each other.
                        There are maps (or even entire games) that have utter suck gameplay but look amazing. It can also be the other way around, there can be regular players that in the spir of a moment get a great idea and need to get their creativity out. Unfortunately not everybody is good at making beautiful maps.
                        Everybody has qualities, but there's nobody that has them all.

And what if somebody that made a cool looking map did pay great attention to gameplay?
                        It still doesn't mean the person actually succeeded in making a fun to play map.

I am well aware that looks are very important (to the big mass), but once you're playing invasion and you like it (talking about UT2004 - also not saying that everybody likes it), you WILL play lots of ugly maps, and there's a big chance that when you get to the voting screen you'll vote for a map you like, and not for the prettiest map.
                        This is why I'm saying it should just be tried, and not given up because of a screenshot in an ugly map.

Also, not everybody has top notch, high end, overpriced gaming rigs. This is another reason why invasion maps are usually ugly, because it needs to support lots of monsters. Monsters usually use many effects, like particles and dynamic lighting and what not, it can be hard for a computer to render 50 of these monsters on one screen, and it would be worse if you had a whole Torlan map or whatever behind it. I think I even noted that on my video of Invasion, I was playing that ugly map, so I can get some more FPS.

And now I don't feel like talking about this any more. You made your point, I made my point, and I don't think you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                        X