Ways to alleviate aimbots and other cheats in the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ways to alleviate aimbots and other cheats in the future

I've done no professional programming, just dabbled around a bit, but I had a few idea's regarding aimbots and stuff that might be useful for future defences.
    One was to intercept functions on the client side PC while accessing the network that the robots use to aim with, or give the locations of other players. So instead of allowing them to connect to the internet, with these hacked code pieces, disconnect and make the client send a report of invalid access - so you can see who's trying to cheat online.
    This would still allow robots on the server to act like they are, and somebody hosting a non-dedicated server, or a dedicated server with admin, to cheat, but somebody from timbuk2 would have to disable the cut off function, which you could counteract by crashing the game. And still, there could be a checksum that remains static and is checked each time the core components like these are activated, so if that cut off function was hacked out, they'd have to get pretty lucky to get going.
    Online cheating is one of the things that ****** me off about these games, if everybody's playing straight I'm fine with it.
    Any other idea's?

The idea's to make all components within the UT game that relate to superhuman input skills inaccessible to humans, besides playing against the robots that they're meant for.

I think if you could figure a way to keep more of this data private and local to the server, such as exact player locations, it'd take alot more effort to cheat.
    I can't see writing an external program to simulate human input at lightning speed by collecting video card data and sound card data as being an easy task.

Comment

That application was called aimbot, all you need to do is change color of opponents to some rgb value range then shoot when crosshair is over that color.

There is no way to protect software from debugging and reverse engineering, you cannot intercept anything really, because you need to load intercepting program on client side. This can be altered by code injection. Generally you spend about 10 times more effort to protect than it takes to hack it.

Just look at whole DRM vs Harr harr Pirates situation. All you get is upsetting legal users while those who want hack will do it, and will get product with less restrictions and hassle.

Comment

only true way to stop cheats is to record them in action & report them

Comment

Working...
        X