No announcement yet.

Dreamlands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both Campaign and Multiplayer? Or is that the same thing, only one of them being co-op?

Comment

Thoughts - Just keeping in mind ideas "Lovecraftian - UT3 engine - Steampunk" and reading through the rest of this thread here...Here's some thoughts and suggestions -

Single-player could be more realistically done and expanded on. A kind of Steam Punk or stylish industrial world. Could be like some of Lovecraft's 1800'sish Industrial worlds. But they could have some fantastic inventions or abilities. Powerful electricity based stuff, scavenged Dreamworld technology, etc. Alternate setting would be fantastic Dreamworld environments that would allow for as fantastic/surreal/quality environments as possible, and would give level editors adding campaigns a lot of freedom, since each could be self contained. Playing it as one of these kids, (I like the sweatshirt girl in that drawing, customizable characters in plain/stylish clothes would be sweet to see) has you picking before you start

For level setup - maybe like a single player overworld you could get around...little icons - a city and surrounding areas, a canyon, lake, whatever...they could be puzzle-pieced together on a larger campaign view. Think an overworld map in an SNES game, or AMA's Alice even, if you remember the map in that.

Zooming in on smaller environment would bring you into a sort of modular level with a starting point in a 'Real world' location, each of which would have companion Dream-world content. Sometimes a mirror of the Real world areas, sometimes not. You could have starker city environments that have like torn areas in them where you can crossover that only the kids can see, or even that monsters could come through/create. There was a Lovecraft story where a guy activated some machine and saw this overlayed Lovecraft-world on everything, and was terrified...these kids could have found something to witness this going on in the world...Pair of glasses and only one can wear 'em, etc. Maybe that'd allow for cool kinds of co-op.

Gameplay - Sometimes exploring, finding fantastic other-worldly technology or vehicles, or bringing their own. Each real world level and corrosponding other-world content. Could be all sorts of monsters on the other side, or weird fights and situations. Lovecraft had stories of hellish cities filled with swarms of things...scary frogs in temple-cities on the moon...giant buildings built to house giant creatures...There was a story with a guy cruising in his vehicle (a carpet or something) and looked across the horizon of a barren grasslands and saw 10 giant creatures bigger than most buildings in his world....and you get to try and fight 'em...

Interesting ways to defeat something and end up with cool gameplay could be like...Killing it with something interesting to fight with....sealing all the tears that allow access...trapping it somewhere...chasing/killing it out of the real world...Escaping from it's area/world alive...etc Or Retrieve something, defeat the enemy (which is itself a lot of goal options), Survive for time/area/escape, Explore, travel somewhere, collect something, mystery puzzles that you have to figure out, but ideally no block puzzles, X shaped jewel, inventory puzzles, etc.

Style/aesthetic - You could do some really atmospheric/scary areas...maybe have stealth be a big part of some levels. Some Real world areas could be clean, but not at all in the style of Mirror's Edge. That game's visuals were like a business card for an architectural firm. More like areas with pipes and industrial stuff, but also lots of trees with falling leaves...believable/imposing features of a technologically interesting society these kids live in....

Otherworld levels that ran a wide range of styles and could appear in the real world at a single or multiple points, or be one enterance and a long ways away, one exit. Could be a variety of goals...threaded through the real world at times.

Not washed out or 'horror' colors though...it should have interesting color and interesting environments, in both settings, but the modular style would allow multiple level designers to give their own takes on the world, but give them similar guidelines, world rules, and they'd be using the same enemy generating methods.

If you really wanted to work your concept into something, it's got potential...avoid cliches, and be creative...you should use it as a chance to give the FPS genre something it hasn't really seen, especially with a name like Dreamworlds....you'd have a lot to live up to.

If you want any more ideas or thoughts...I'd even be down for some concept art, environment mockups, level design...depends on what direction you're trying to go.

Comment

you wrote a book, I like the ideas that you have for atmosphere, and gameplay. I'll write & post notes on what Im thinking later today.

If you want to do some concepts go for it.

Here are my notes for Part 1 of 3
        Attached Files

Comment

Usually when people think "Lovecraft", they automaticly think "Fish-men", "Deep-ones" and Cthulhu. I like that you instead chose Dreamlands, with those even stranger elements, really otherworldly stuff. Erase the line between "real world" and "dreamworld" for the player, to screw up his thinking.

The notes you uploaded are very ambitious.
          Is there any way you can cut down the feature list and workload, to produce a short alpha version.

Comment

I gave those notes a look over...I'd suggest staying away from actually taking anything right from the literature...maybe keep the style in mind but give yourself a lot more creative freedom by making up and justifying your own world for it. The story outline you've got going could be alright...depends on what kind of gameplay you really want for it.

If you wanted to make a mod that's more heavily about exploration of this other world you could get way more intense, partly by making the otherworldly stuff way less explicable and recognizable.

Comment

Originally posted by zenarion View Post
              Usually when people think "Lovecraft", they automaticly think "Fish-men", "Deep-ones" and Cthulhu. I like that you instead chose Dreamlands, with those even stranger elements, really otherworldly stuff. Erase the line between "real world" and "dreamworld" for the player, to screw up his thinking.

The notes you uploaded are very ambitious.
              Is there any way you can cut down the feature list and workload, to produce a short alpha version.
              I'm trying to come up with a short(er) list of things to do that can be a base to build off of.

Originally posted by Distant Land View Post
              I gave those notes a look over...I'd suggest staying away from actually taking anything right from the literature...maybe keep the style in mind but give yourself a lot more creative freedom by making up and justifying your own world for it. The story outline you've got going could be alright...depends on what kind of gameplay you really want for it.

If you wanted to make a mod that's more heavily about exploration of this other world you could get way more intense, partly by making the otherworldly stuff way less explicable and recognizable.
              Originally I wanted it to be horror game with a few very intense encounters and lots of exploration, then over the last few moths it's changed into what's in the notes. The cities wouldn't have to actually be named in game, I named them in the notes so that I woul;d know what I was talking about later.

I think that the easiest place to get started would be concept art for the campaign/story mode while we make the weapons, characters, etc. and implement them in simple multiplayer maps.

Comment

Few intense encounters = yes. Rather make 3 good enemies than 30 bad ones.
                How can the players alter the world around them? Will you be arming the player with powerful weapons and spells?
                Lovecraft's protagonists usually are normal people, not with much combat skill, maybe only knowledge of the occult, and almost always they get the short end of the stick.

Comment

Originally posted by zenarion
                  Few intense encounters = yes. Rather make 3 good enemies than 30 bad ones.
                  we need to come up with concepts for environments and enemies.

How can the players alter the world around them? Will you be arming the player with powerful weapons and spells?
                  Weapons yes, I'm not sure about magic yet.

Lovecraft's protagonists usually are normal people, not with much combat skill, maybe only knowledge of the occult, and almost always they get the short end of the stick.
                  I'm not really sure how to implement any of this without making the game almost unplayable.

Comment

Working...
                  X