UT3 melee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 melee

well i really dont mind close quarter flank cannon, but dont u think it be good to smack someone in the face with stinger or rocket launcher.

now i havent got the slightest idea how to code anything, so i think it may be really difficult to code it and use a button for it, im thinkin L2 or R2 for melee ..

id like u give me the most reasons why it wouldn't work,

i just wanted 2 bring it up

The first issue that comes to mind is that it would throw off the weapon balance. If you let the player deal heavy damage up close with the Stinger and other weapons, you'd almost eliminate th need for close range weapons. People would likely gravitate toward mid-range weapons like the shock and link and just stick with them, instead of seeking out the flak and bio and rocketsto fill that void.
    It would have to deal more damage per melee hit than the same dps of firing for the animation's duration to be worth it, and at that point it would begin to push into the territory of close-range weapons.
    Either that, or everyone might run for the flak and make melee with the other weapons not worth it.
    These are just potential issues off the top of my head, though...

Comment

makes clear sence 2 me what ur sayin,

Comment

Yeah--the only time Unreal ever went melee was the chainsaw melee mutator in UT99 or shooting/melee fusion in Unreal Championship 2. (UC2 was an excellent game, and I still love it, though it's incredibly different from any other Unreal game.) I think it's weapon balance, tradition, and unique-ness (since UT's focus is wholely on shooting, unlike most others with melee--the Impact Hammer, Shield Gun, and Piston seem to be intentionally impractical weapons for attacking, just intended as a last resort) It's just not Unreal Tournament stuff I think.

Comment

Originally posted by gorgesucks View Post
          ... the Impact Hammer, Shield Gun, and Piston seem to be intentionally impractical weapons for attacking, just intended as a last resort) ...
          Wrong. These weapons are quite useful once you learn the technique of each one and proper movement during use. But yes, I'd say too that Epic created a melee weapon to give a last chance to a player with nothing else.

Comment

It's just not Unreal Tournament stuff I think.
            Are angry mutant bunny skins UT stuff? Or the countless other mods that are out there

It doesn't matter. It's a mod, if there's someone who likes this idea and actually makes this mutator, nobody is forcing you to play it.

Oh and the balance issues don't matter either, just look at the excessive mutator, there's nothing balanced about it...

Comment

Are angry mutant bunny skins UT stuff? Or the countless other mods that are out there?
              Yes, they are UT stuff

Comment

Originally posted by marilol View Post
                Yes, they are UT stuff
                Then melee is UT "stuff" too.

Comment

No fights, kay? Anyways im thinkin to have a melee only match, tht would be fun, again there are probs. Let me know what they are please. Ty

Comment

Yeah--the only time Unreal ever went melee was the chainsaw melee mutator in UT99 or
                    In the GOTY version of UT99 they included ChaosUT which had a pretty sweet sword for melee. It had a slow swing but gibbed, so had timing to it. The better example I've seen is in the game Undying which used the UT99 engine.

They had a scythe with a short charge up and timed swing that could decapitate if you got a clean hit running by things. It worked really well with a speed-boost skill you could get. Something similar would help close in the distance and I think the melee weapon should also give a big boost to armor since the guns are pretty killer.

Comment

Originally posted by AOES_Kevin_DAD View Post
                      No fights, kay? Anyways im thinkin to have a melee only match, tht would be fun, again there are probs. Let me know what they are please. Ty
                      try a pub on DM-Biohazard .....

Comment

What if you moded in GoW weapons into UT3 then made the melee ability work?

Comment

no idea bout GoW weps, could work. just have to wait and see

Comment

what if you made the alt fire the melee?
                            wile it wouldn't work for some weapons others you could just change the primary fire to what ever is the more useful of the two original firing modes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellclown View Post
                              what if you made the alt fire the melee?
                              wile it wouldn't work for some weapons others you could just change the primary fire to what ever is the more useful of the two original firing modes.
                              how do we do shock combos then? how do we load rockets, link nodes, pin enemies to walls?

Comment

Working...
                              X