How to: Gears cover system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to: Gears cover system

for those coders and modders out there who think its impossible to make the cover system from Gears

heres the run down
    it is possible just use like a vehicle seat thingy(you know where it locks you in the seat but instead of a seat make it a wall) then have the cover animation be the crouch animation no one has yet to ask for the blind fire system but what you can do is restrict the looking pitch when they are in "crouched" cover mode and then there should be a "stand" cover mode where when they press a button they'll switch between a crouching cover to a standing cover so they can fire and vice-versa

My friend and fellow modder linked me to this thread. I think I am supposed to tell you I created a cover system for UT3. Blind fire is not yet implemented, but it is being worked on.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHZFHndYWZo

Comment

Originally posted by whitfield View Post
      My friend and fellow modder linked me to this thread. I think I am supposed to tell you I created a cover system for UT3. Blind fire is not yet implemented, but it is being worked on.

Enjoy!

im talking about where when you go up to a wall teh action picture pops up and your prompted to take cover

Comment

So where's your proof of concept?
        It's all very well saying, "just do this, this and this, then you're done", or something similar, but if you haven't actually tried to do it yourself, then how can you say it's easy.

Oh, and there's a difference between possible, and practical. Possible means that it can be done, while practical means that it can be done in a reasonable amount of time, with a reasonable amount of effort(say less than 6 months).

Comment

Originally posted by myax View Post
          im talking about where when you go up to a wall teh action picture pops up and your prompted to take cover
          What you are talking about would require a mapper placed entity. That actually in some respects:
          a) hinders the development process
          b) disallows non-marked walls for cover

So while it would be cool to prompt the user, it seems cooler that you could cover on literally any wall rather than allowing only mapped cover walls for the sole purpose of alerting the player to its proximity.

Comment

Originally posted by myax View Post
            for those coders and modders out there who think its impossible to make the cover system from Gears

heres the run down
            it is possible just use like a vehicle seat thingy(you know where it locks you in the seat but instead of a seat make it a wall) then have the cover animation be the crouch animation no one has yet to ask for the blind fire system but what you can do is restrict the looking pitch when they are in "crouched" cover mode and then there should be a "stand" cover mode where when they press a button they'll switch between a crouching cover to a standing cover so they can fire and vice-versa
            I think the general rule is here 'if you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk at all'. Vehicle seats and cover systems are fairly different in their application.

Comment

What he said was use the locked-in-position feature vehicles have to implement the cover system. That's all.

It would be better to just make a true cover system built for dealing with solid surfaces universally.

Comment

Originally posted by whitfield View Post

Enjoy!

dude!!!! i think i love u lol i can tell this will b a mod but is der any hope for a simple mut with ur cam mode and/or cover system? pls oh pls say yes???

Comment

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=643075 - video enclosed.

Comment

Yeah Project:White seems to have the best cover system I've seen so far, and it's still a WIP. I always found the icon annoying in Gears, when it tells you to find cover, but I guess it's needed for when your diving to other cover or vaulting over a wall for new users.

Comment

I really hope u make this for ps3 players please i love what u done it looks so much better, i hope some one does the crouch mods like COD4 it would be INSANE!!!!

Comment

What is so cool in these useless Game Cover Systems like in GoW and R6 Vegas when you just have to strafe from a wall corner or crouch to perform the same thing but more efficiently? Plus, when you use that system, you become so predictable...

The Actual Cover Systems are actually screwing up our games by freezing the gameflows because you can just hide behind the stuff without taking the risk to be out of cover.

Theory of Fun

Risk VS Reward: 3rd person doesn't work = FAILURE

Killzone 2 from the old videos I've seen so far is the only FPS with an efficient Cover System.

Comment

oh so very true. straffing behind a wall is so much better then slowly running behind it and pressing "A" the getting raped from behind by a camper... no good at all =P

Comment

I have had experience with GoW2 cover system and even though it's good it really does slow down the game flow. I went against that and I miraculously had some success with rushing out gun full spread... but not always.

Comment

True and sometimes u just get stuck randomly hehe, sometimes i wish they would mod gears so that it can play like ut3, wouldnt that be ironic as all the ppl here want gear brought to Ut3...ppl these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X