Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by mightyenigma View Post
    Arratic rotation problem... makes me wonder if your matinee keys have the proper tangents
    Dead thread alert!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Arratic rotation problem... makes me wonder if your matinee keys have the proper tangents

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This map has given me an idea. Would you mind if I borrowed/stole the idea?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i have also done this before, ut2k4. but i stopped becaus in multyplayer the players were falling in the walls so people got stuck.
    ps make it rotate very slowly!!! i got sick in my map prety fast, i had a pretty fast spin. escher is a great guy.

good luck

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's been a while, but I've decided to work on this again.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by marilol View Post
    That looks really cool!

Perhaps making the bot paths by using lots of translocator nodes would work. Also, try noting where everything is, so paths don't lead into walls on any rotation amount.
    And i don't think bots will try the impossible and say try fly to a node etc.
    Using the translocator nodes sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a try and mention if it works. Thanks for the sugestion.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If your room was octagonal, instead of cuboid, you may find it easier to deal with the erratic collision - since the next surface is always at an acceptable angle from the current floor

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That sounds great. i've seen sevral old UT99 maps for Monsterhunt that are like that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That looks really cool!

Perhaps making the bot paths by using lots of translocator nodes would work. Also, try noting where everything is, so paths don't lead into walls on any rotation amount.
    And i don't think bots will try the impossible and say try fly to a node etc.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic [UPDATED 02/24/2009]The Rotating Room [WIP][PICS]

[UPDATED 02/24/2009]The Rotating Room [WIP][PICS]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROGRESS:
    - I got really busy at work, so I had to put this on the back burner for a while.
    02/22/2009 - Kismit scripting for room rotation timings is finished.
    02/24/2009 - Currently modeling the geometry in Maya and importing into UT3editor.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE IDEA:

- Team capture the flag.
    - Teams start out on opposite sides of the room on a platform which contains weapons and powerups (I was forced to do this since items can not be attached to the interpactors).
    - As players battle the room rotates in 1 min intervals (rotates so that the floor becomes the wall).
    - During the odd number of rotations the weapons are unreachable so players will have to ration ammo.
    - Upon successful capture of another teams flag, new items with limited ammo will be made available at home base to give advantage to one team.
    - Each surface of the room contains a different layout, making navigation a dynamic experience.

VISUAL APPEARANCE:
    I would like the room to be sort of a testing room, where scientists are observing through windows. I was thinking a kind of hermetically clean facility with a bright greyscale color scheme. I really like the realistic look of Mirror Edge's lighting so I would like to have the lighting baked to give it a cool ambient feel. To add some color, I think it would be cool if there were blood smears over some of the surfaces and the blood would be semi-transparent.

As for the music, I would be willing to write a full original score. I am undecided if I should go with a full symphonic orchestral action piece or a fast paced metal soundtrack. I guess it really depends on the feel i get from the level once it is finished.

This is an ambitious project and if I receive enough feedback and interest, I would like to recruit a few people to help out. I basically need some help to speed things along, especially with texturing and tweaking the level layout.

Thanks,
    -PcEhNaIdS-
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE PROBLEMS (HELP NEEDED!)

- ROTATION MADNESS!!! When I try to create a rotation animation for the room in matinee which consists of 4 keyframed, 90 degree rotations, the room begins spinning out of control! I have to settle with a long 360 degree rotation with 4 animation pauses, but I don't get that nice easing effect. Any thoughts?

- BOT PATHS are still a problem since I cant attach nodes to an interpactor.

- I would like to bake the static lighting, but I am not sure how to do this for interpactors in UnrealED.

If you have any answers or comments for any of these questions, please feel free to post it in this thread

-THE PICS-
    (Sorry, no textures yet, and I am still adding geometry.)

Before Rotation

After rotation

Also check out my other level design experiment, ZERO-G.
Working...
X