Assault Like Map + Lava Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assault Like Map + Lava Material

I had 2 ideas these days. One is about a warfare or vctf map that is set in the undergrounds, in the fire, in a hell-like place with lava and geysers that spit fire. Now it comes to my second ideia. This map would have a different gameplay style. If it were a Vctf map, it would have some kind of assault based gameplay, with kismet events, like buttons, and a bunch of things you have to do to get to the enemy flag, or to the enemy prime for warfare, and then complete the game. As for this new style of gameplay, these maps could be different than the other with some kind of prefix like Vctf-AS-*Name* and they are meant to play with max score of 1, as they would last long.

What you guys think about that? i really think this assault-like thing would work in UT3, it just wouldnt be possible to have the exactly same gameplay as the original assault, but sort of.

Both ideas sound good. I like the map idea maybe not so much like a vctf map. You know if someone falls in the lava. But it sounds great with Warfare! Assault would be good with it too.

Comment

1. MOAR LAVA! (I love this style of map, and we don't have enough of them in UT3)
      2. That's actuall the best way to hack in assault gameplay I've heard yet. You can't do the assymetry that defines assault, but you can make the basic objective-based gameplay work. If you make this, it'll be the best we get until one of the thirty or so assault teams releases.

Comment

buttons that trigger something. Not hard to make, but it don't like that gameplay.

If someone draw a nice map, people don't mind making it for youi.

Comment

I got an idea of the layout of the map, but i couldn't draw it lol i don't have much sense of drawing this kind of thing. I imagined something half Floodgate-like, a area covered by rocks like a giant cave, and the other side a open area that ends in ocean of lava. In the ceiling of the the covered area there's a hole like Floodgate, but that extends until till the open area making something like a U shape. You have to imagine that map as something deep inside the ground, so through that hole you could see the sun far away above the cave, with lightbeans shining upon the fire and lava. I suppose that would a very intricate design to make, but would look awesome.

Comment

I like it.

Comment

I got a couple of pictures of my 1 day of work on the cave...

Here you can see the U shaped hole i was talking about, the big hole up to the outside and the sun... there is some smoke also, that's because of the lava, that isn't really there yet

And the view from the wall of the cave to the ocean of lava, that isn't lava yet, and isn't a ocean either. The water texture is just a placeholder while i don't have the lava material, and i am going change these rocks in the background to make the cave look bigger, and therefore, make the lava look like an ocean

When i got the map (terrain and everything gameplay wise) somewhat working the way i want (assault style), i'll throw an Alpha for download.
              (I hope)

Comment

Looking good...

How do you intend to do your lava? It's hard to make lava look good. A great lava texture only goes so far. You really want it animated (crust cracking, etc) and with bubbles bursting, etc.

Comment

Yeah, i'll explore cascade to see what i can come with. I was thinking about making bubbles with static meshes, and make a kismet animation to simulate the bubble growing and exploding effect, then i add some particle effects to simulate smoke, these smalls fireballs that come out of the lava. Maybe try to make like pieces of stone floating on the lava surface, it would be done via Cascade, but i think it's too tricky...

Comment

You might want to look into a flipbook texture for the lava cracking, although that might repeat too much.

Comment

What do you mean exactly by lava cracking? if it is these pieces of solid lava that float on the surface, i think i can do it via particle system, i was messing with it right now but didnt work the way i want. The pieces of lava where like flying everywhere lol never worked with cascade before... I'll look for tutorials tomorrow. Will post screens if i get this working.

Comment

That is more or less what I was talking about. I really look forward to seeing what you do. I love lava...

Comment

So, after my computer finally decide to work again, and i past these busy days, i got some time to work on the map, and i got 3 hot screenshots right here

I created my LAVA! i finally got my material to look like lava...here's a screen of the small waterfall i've done:

And a couple of screen showing the black stain kind of thing i came up with:

This "stain" moves slowly and randomly, sometimes it disappears then appears back again...
                          Now i am working with the terrain. I completly changed the layout, because it was almost unplayable, then later i am going to add the fancy lava things

Comment

Very pretty.

Comment

Working...
                            X