Simple mutator to extend sudden death in ctf & vtcf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple mutator to extend sudden death in ctf & vtcf

I want to do it, but I can't. I just can't get my head around unrealscript so I need to look up some more tutorials and **** before I go into it (unless someone's willing to give me some points on how to do it. I know some very basic stuff but I'm a bit lost on how I'd go about doing exactly what I want to do). The idea I'm having here is mainly to do with sudden death.

As you know when a CTF or VCTF game ends, if neither team has scored a flag capture it goes into sudden death which lasts until someone finally scores a capture. Thing is, when both teams have some really good defensive players the game can become a stalemate which can last hours.

This can get mighty boring after a while as I'm sure most would agree. The mutator I had in mind would, when active for CTF and VCTF matches, extends sudden death to give it a time limit rather than it being infinite. So when game the timer reaches zero if no team has scored a capture, sudden death is announced, but then another time limit is initiated (probably make it user configurable?) - then, when this time limit reaches zero the game ends. Even if no one has scored a capture - as such neither team scores a point and the match ends in a draw or something along those lines.

Good call!

Comment

Well, it would be if I could even begin to contemplate how to actually make it. Of course, I intended this to be more a suggestion for some one else more than anything.

As far as I can tell the game already does have the ability to result in a tie, it checks if overtime is active then it starts looking to see about the last man standing is. I've only seen lives used in the campaign though presumably if two players on opposite teams are the only ones left playing and they both manage to kill each other the game ends in a tie. At least that's how it comes across to me in the uscript files. As such it could probably be straight forward enough to invoke a tie under different circumstances. Just a case of setting the new time limit when overtime begins.

Comment

I was just about to post the same suggestion. Unfortuanetly im also a n00b at Unrealscript.

Comment

I always thought that the best way to stop stalemates in CTF/vCTF would be just a mutator that kept players from respawning if they died during Sudden Death. So, you could technically get killed just before Sudden Death, then spawn in after your buddies wipe the floor with a few of their guys and be a kind of unexpected backup.

Or, to limit the number of respawns in Sudden Death... Possibly with a UI to configure how many.

Comment

Yea, anything like that would be great.

In the mean time though, it seems as though the lives is the only way to currently stop a stalemate. In UTGame.ini you can add MaxLives= to [UTGame.UTCTFGame] or edit the line under [UTGameContent.UTVehicleCTFGame_Content] to give all players lives. It might not cater to everyone though hence why a mutator to alter the way overtime works is still desirable.

Comment

You can do a lot of this manually in mapmixer if you're the administrator, because you can change life/time/kill limits midgame and manually abort rounds, if I remember. I don't think that feature is particularly stable, though.

Comment

Working...
              X