GoW "Assassination" Game Type... but Slightly Altered for UT3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GoW "Assassination" Game Type... but Slightly Altered for UT3

There is a game type on GoW called "assassination" or some thing similar and I thought it would be fun to have a similar (not necessarily the same) game type for UT3.

The rules are pretty simple:

Each team is appointed a "Leader" and the goal for either team to score a point is to assassinate the other team's Leader.

It sounds easy enough, but a good team that works together would really dominate in this.... and it would provide a good practice for newer player to learn how to work with your team and this can be transferred over to other game types. (IE- Protecting orb runners and flag carriers)

I figured to give it a little of UT3's flair, the "Leaders" could glow their team color and maybe even make them carrying their team flag, this would make them really easy to spot and add to the gameplay.

In GoW, this game is only played until a leader is assassinated... UT3 being so much faster without a cover system should probably be played to a default of 5 points: each assassination scoring a point, then the next round starts as the player with the highest score on either team being the leader for the next round (assume it is random for round 1).

One thing I would add to expand the need for team play: Respawns are on a timer and then forced. If you die, you do not respawn for 10 (maybe 15) seconds (with a cool little timer maybe). After that time is up, you are forced to respawn and must find your way back to your team solo, or maybe near a buddy if you got fragged within a short space of time (and perhaps plan an ambush, bearing in mind that one well-placed headshot could save your team's ****)....

Max out each team leader's health and armor (minus the Helmet) on first spawn and expand their default max health to 299 instead of the standard 199. This would give them a tiny bit more survivability and require the other troops to scrounge armor where they can find it.

If at all possible, a weapon throw mutator included in this would be awesome.

You could also make this playable on just about any map, kinda like Battle Team Arena....

and Weapons would have to respawn, forcing each team to keep moving and gathering things they need as they go. Asymmetrical, large DM-style maps would make this gametype shine.

In closing, I only posted this here because I suck at UnrealScript and have the hardest time with it... So, if there ever were a coder interested on a project that probably wouldn't need much more than code, I'd be willing to lend my mapping and/or texture/modelling skills. There's no way I think I could ever get this working properly myself, so into the request/idea forum it goes.

Sounds like a pretty good idea

Comment

yep, an idea that i had in mind aswell
      would be fun if someone makes it

Comment

I may take a stab at making a Proof of COncept version of this gametype, but my coding knowledge isn't good enough to make it fully fleshed out, someone else will have to take the lead for that.

Comment

i loved all GOW gametypes
          the most played one was of course

EXECUTION
          because it didn't matter if your team mates were good or not
          You just had to think about yourself

ASSASSINATION
          brings back that proper team based game where one must help another out

Comment

That would be awesome TailSnake.

Like I said, I can't code for ****, but if you want me to do some maps specifically geared towards this gametype, I am sure I can come up with a few.

Like I said in the OP, I think oversized DM-style, non-symmetrical maps (at least 2-4x normal DM map size) would work the best in a UT version of this gametype. Would give it enough space to be hectic with a lot of people, but have that cat and mouse feel when lower player numbers are on.

Another thing I hadn't thought of: Redeemers, UDamage, Berserk, Invulnerability... I think a few of these may be a shade overpowered for this type of gameplay. Maybe it could be made that specific powerups that are deemed "too powerful" are turned off... or people could just use the UPowerUp mutator?... A third option would be to allow this to only allow maps specifically for the gametype and make sure maps provided with the mod only use powerful pickups when appropriate to the map.

InstaGib Assassination would be hardcore...

If all goes well and it's decided that it is better to use only maps for the gametype, what prefix do the maps get?

"AS-" is taken for Assault, and I can't rightly put "***-" at the front of every map....

"ASN-"?

Comment

"***-" XD
              "ASN-" Sounds Good to Me

Comment

Originally posted by ShadeMistress View Post
                That would be awesome TailSnake.

Like I said, I can't code for ****, but if you want me to do some maps specifically geared towards this gametype, I am sure I can come up with a few.

Like I said in the OP, I think oversized DM-style, non-symmetrical maps (at least 2-4x normal DM map size) would work the best in a UT version of this gametype. Would give it enough space to be hectic with a lot of people, but have that cat and mouse feel when lower player numbers are on.

Another thing I hadn't thought of: Redeemers, UDamage, Berserk, Invulnerability... I think a few of these may be a shade overpowered for this type of gameplay. Maybe it could be made that specific powerups that are deemed "too powerful" are turned off... or people could just use the UPowerUp mutator?... A third option would be to allow this to only allow maps specifically for the gametype and make sure maps provided with the mod only use powerful pickups when appropriate to the map.

InstaGib Assassination would be hardcore...

If all goes well and it's decided that it is better to use only maps for the gametype, what prefix do the maps get?

"AS-" is taken for Assault, and I can't rightly put "***-" at the front of every map....

"ASN-"?
                i would love to map for this gametype=D

Comment

I have already started 2 maps (just BSP layout right now) for this gametype. Worst case scenerio if it doesn't pan out, we'll have a couple oversized DM maps.

Comment

sounds effin awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

yeah im currently working on a huge dm map, so i guess i can use it for this gametype if its ever made blah

Comment

Yeah, I also have another CTF map that may work for the gametype that is about 75% done... or , if nothing else, would be a decent one to test on until more get done.

Comment

sounds really cool. I'd play this mode, at least over LAN.

Comment

Well, I am about 75% finished with a map for this gametype, but I still need to test it.

I am developing it for DM just for testing purposes, and bump so I can see how much interest there still is. ...and to see if TailSnake was still going to work on this...

Comment

Sorry, I've been swamped by schoolwork. I'll try to get it done before midterms tough. Sorry for making you wait.

Comment

Working...
                              X