Use PhysX for blood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use PhysX for blood?

Probably a waste of time but should be interesting if indeed possible. Btw anyone know of some PhysX maps execpt tornado, lighthouse and heatray... even if it's only a tech map? Haven't seen any maps using liquid and softbodies yet.

Hurrm nah no one plays with PhysX maps...

Comment

Is heatray a PhysX map?
      What's so physic about heatray?

And indeed, to see soft/liquid bodies in UT3, that'd be awesome.

Comment

theres a physx version of heatray, it like hails and theres an invulnerability.

Comment

There aren't many PhysX specific maps. Some maps do use a lot of PhysX however.

I'm not sure the liquid feature of PhysX is supported by UT3.

Comment

Those PhysX compatible maps are screwy on both of my high end systems that I tested with. The framerate is just atrocious; and this is with settings maxed on a single 9800 GTX with 512 Megs of memory and a 3GHZ stock clocked Dual Core AMD CPU - *** that's a mouthful.

If anyone creates any more PhysX maps, there needs to be as little PhysX objects available in those maps. Too much performance issues. But hell, it may just be my setup right now that's being sluggish. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Yongmonrathen View Post
              Those PhysX compatible maps are screwy on both of my high end systems that I tested with. The framerate is just atrocious; and this is with settings maxed on a single 9800 GTX with 512 Megs of memory and a 3GHZ stock clocked Dual Core AMD CPU - *** that's a mouthful.

If anyone creates any more PhysX maps, there needs to be as little PhysX objects available in those maps. Too much performance issues. But hell, it may just be my setup right now that's being sluggish. Go figure.

You need to upgrade drivers. Nvidia released the compatability a week or so ago.

Performance on my 2.4ghz Dual, 8800GT and 4GB RAM is good, the maps are very playable but obviously not as smooth as the normal maps.

Comment

He also may need more memory. Tornado works fine on my machine without PhysX updates, and Lighthouse only has a few issues.

Comment

The 9800 GTX has 512 of ddr3 memory, I have 2 Gigs of RAM on my PC. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that in order to support 4 gigs of RAM I need to upgrade to Windows 64 Bit addition. Is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by Yongmonrathen View Post
                    The 9800 GTX has 512 of ddr3 memory, I have 2 Gigs of RAM on my PC. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that in order to support 4 gigs of RAM I need to upgrade to Windows 64 Bit addition. Is this true?
                    there's a lot of technical explanation of this...but in short: yes, you should use a 64bit OS (like Windows Vista 64bit) to fully utilize 4GB RAM.

Comment

Can someone refresh my memory a little.

There was two maps initially released Tornado and Lighthouse. I hear people complaining that the maps are terribly optimized, memory leaks that makes the map unplayable after a while.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_ut3_physxmod.html
                      But if i look at this link theres also a Physx Heatray map with it. Can it be that nvidia released an updated version of lighthouse and tornado without these said above issues.

Plus they're were talks a while back of a second physx mappack that included Physx-Torlan or something like that. Saw it on the servers during beta testing but i haven't heard of or seen it ever since.

Doesn't the Physx SDK give you the ability to add liquid to UT3?

Comment

I have already uploaded the PhysX modding pack that demonstrates all aspects of PhysX and includes about 10 sample maps and some tutorials here: http://treadster.com/dhunter/AgeiaPhysXTutorials.zip. Only soft-bodies, fluids, and cloths have some negative impact on framerates, and even those I was able to run on a Pentium 4 + 7600GT. The whole pack is about 726MB, but it is very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by CvP View Post
                          there's a lot of technical explanation of this...but in short: yes, you should use a 64bit OS (like Windows Vista 64bit) to fully utilize 4GB RAM.
                          This is not hundred percent true. 32-bit data registers can allow a computer to allocate 4 GB of memory, just try 2^32/1024^3 with google and you'll get the number 4. The 2 GB limit of 32-bit XP is artificial, so you should be able to tweak the last 2 into the scene. For more than 4 you will need a 64-bit OS & processor though, that is unavoidable.

Comment

Working...
                          X