No announcement yet.

Wall-walking, AvP2 style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I confess that I only played the original AvP very briefly years ago. That said, it seems that making volumes for the different behaviors would be rather kludgy and difficult to work with. Implementing complicated player-controlled behavior in the Pawn and PlayerController classes works pretty well for the MatrixMoves, so I can't imagine that you couldn't continue on that path for your mod. Perhaps the volume thing takes out some potential for user interface complication, but I'd think it would be at the cost of the player feeling like they were in control of what they could do. Just my $0.02.

Comment

I got wall-walking working without much difficulty, but my current issue is getting the player mesh orientation correct, which is proving to be a pain.

As for using volumes or binding to crouch, both are valid techniques with few ramifications.

I'm going to be using volumes, personally, as we're only using it very rarely in special circumstances, not as a major feature for the project.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, I would love to get a look at the wall walking code to mess around with it if you're willing. Mostly I'm still learning, so your examples would be really helpful.

On the static mesh note: would creating fresh static meshes and messing around with the BSP blocking volumes largely take care of the issue with static mesh issues? What problem are the BSP block problems causing exactly? And what is the work around you tend to use? I found it a little difficult to parse some of Apoc's qutoe:

The walls only *look* complicated in UT3 maps... The surfaces a player typically touches are actually relatively simple invisible BSP blocking volumes, while what you *see* is a complicated static mesh that you don't collide with (often). It's actually a right pain in the *** to deal with so that one only wallruns on blocking volumes that have static meshes near/behind them. I dealt with this problem in the UT2k4 version, but it has been a bit tougher (and more prevalent) in UT3.

-Safe

Comment

His point was, that while meshes are indeed very complicated and detailed, it's not an issue, because they have an invisible 'collision' component that is used to determine where the player hits it. However, existing maps use blocking volumes to block off areas, which cause complications.

I should point out that a player should not be able to walk on a blocking volume anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
            His point was, that while meshes are indeed very complicated and detailed, it's not an issue, because they have an invisible 'collision' component that is used to determine where the player hits it. However, existing maps use blocking volumes to block off areas, which cause complications.

I should point out that a player should not be able to walk on a blocking volume anyway.
            Thanks for clearing that up. As a follow up, would it be possible to build a volume that would allow you to walk/wall-walk on a static mesh?

Comment

Yes. Just use two states, one for walking the other for wall-walking. When the player enters the appropriate volume, switch states.

Comment

Cool! I only wish a mod similar to half-life 1's natural selection pops up sometime. That was the greatest fps/rts hybrid as well as the best aliens-style-scary mod ever!

Comment

Working...
                X