Freefalling Level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freefalling Level

Hows this sound... A level where you fall and you try and get the most kills before you get a suicide when you hit the bottom. Pretty cool I think.

Sounds very interesting to me, but won't the maps be real big? Maybe it could be combinded with a portal so you fall through it to diffrent parts of the map, and then die. what about the other players, and weapons?

Comment

i tried that once on UT99 but it didn't work with the bots lol maybe if you make a volume with less gravity would work better....

Comment

Maybe add jumppads at the bottom to shoot back up?

Comment

Good idea, but there would have to be much less gravity, otherwise the fall speed would be too fast for you to be able to hit anything.

Comment

True I'm still thinking if I'm gong to do it or not its still in idea phase.

Comment

Make it a close quarters hole (semi-small hole) with a giant portal at the bottom, which brough you back up to the top.

Comment

It could be done--if you used the full height of the limiting box in UnrealEd, you could free-fall for over 10 minutes with normal gravity.

Comment

My map which i haven't posted is a 6 floor tower with a grav lift going from top to bottom. You can jump off the top and freefall for 40 seconds which seems an age untill you explode on contact with the floor.

But 10 mins, i doubt it, because if you think about it, the further you fall, the faster you fall , so, if you fell for 10 mins lets say the editor stretches for something like 999 miles.

999 / 10 = 99 mph average. Thats not true, it would start at 0 mph and accelerate to something like 300mph.

But its probably very hard to judge seeing as the editor does not stretch 999 but a lot more.

Comment

It'd be fine if everyone joined the game and spawned at the same time, but if you ran it on a server where people could come and go as they pleased you'd end up with very few people falling at the same time - and even they would be too spread out to really hit each other.

Similarly, if someone was shot and killed they'd spawn on their own back at the top.

Comment

How about using small platforms that are scripted to periodically appear/disappear, some with weapon placements or pick-ups on them.

Comment

Originally posted by marilol View Post
                        My map which i haven't posted is a 6 floor tower with a grav lift going from top to bottom. You can jump off the top and freefall for 40 seconds which seems an age untill you explode on contact with the floor.

But 10 mins, i doubt it, because if you think about it, the further you fall, the faster you fall , so, if you fell for 10 mins lets say the editor stretches for something like 999 miles.

999 / 10 = 99 mph average. Thats not true, it would start at 0 mph and accelerate to something like 300mph.

But its probably very hard to judge seeing as the editor does not stretch 999 but a lot more.
                        Well, if you work it out this way:
                        Let's say the distance is a full 20.km.
                        (t^2) = 20000m/((1/2)(9.81m/s^2))
                        t = 64s <-That's without air resistance--only a little over a minute.
                        Here's the speed you will be going when you hit the ground:
                        vf = (9.81m/s^2)(64s)
                        vf = 630m/s <-That's about 1400mph. Seems a bit ridiculous, don't you think? Free-falling at mach 2, you'd probably be dead.

Now my question is, does UT3 have acceleration due to gravity, or do ragdolls fall at a constant speed? Or even better, have acceleration until 'air resistance' prevents further velocity accumulation?

Comment

There's acceleration due to gravity (I know from my translocator flight attempts) though I'm not sure if the is a critical velocity at which air resistance prevents further acceleration (I doubt there is though).

Comment

happy to announce this is in production using all non flyable vehicles as well!!!

OKAY, falling mantas and scorps survive easily, you can boost while in scorp as well

Comment

Your last point is correct for all vehicles, they accelerate up to a constant speed and just bounce when they hit the floor.

Thats what i think, just waiting for the tank to land anyminute now.

Dam, tank took no damage?

Comment

Working...
                              X