Health / armor system revision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health / armor system revision

I got my best friend to play UT3 when it came out on the PS3 to see what he'd think after playing so damned much Halo 2 and 3 for so long. One of his biggest gripes was the fact that you have to track down health items in order to heal yourself. He said that he prefered Halo's automatically regenerating shields because they allowed you to regain your strength between encounters, leveling the playing field between you and whichever opponent you ran into next. In games like UT3 there is a VERY good chance that unless you get really lucky or are much more skilled than the guy you're up against, you are going to walk away fro the fight with a sizable chunk of your health missing. That combined with the sparse placement and sluggish respawn of health pickups, and what I feel are overpowered weapons mean that you won't last long unless you retreat until you can regain your health.
    That's why I think UT3 could use a mutator that combined Halo's regenerating shields with a more traditional health system. One example might be the following: Each player has both a shield bar and a health value. While a player still has some of their shields left their health cannot be damaged. When their shields are completely drained their health will decrease with every hit and if completely depleted the player will die. After their shields are damaged they will begin to recharge a few seconds after the player stops taking damage, but any damage a player sustains to their health can only be repaired by finding health items. This system is basically like the one used in the very first Halo, except the player's health display would be a gauge or numerical value.
    There would still be additional armor pickups that could either instantly restore a portion of a player's depleted shields or add a certain amount of added protection to their full shield gauge. I do like that the helmet in UT3 lets a player walk away from a single headshot that would otherwise be fatal, though I'd think that skilled snipers are rare enough that this added benefit is more of a "just in case" sort of thing than a valued asset. If anyone actually puts out a mutator or mod with this feature then do let me know. I'd really like to see how this would change UT3's feel and flow. Any feedback is also welcome.

I agree with your idea, but I think UT3 should have had a revised health and shield system in the first place. The health/shield pickups are getting a bit old for me and It means you have to track down the pickups and avoid other players so you don't die. That's a bit hard to do with the layout of many of UT3's maps. You're bound to get killed with a single stinger shard from behind. That has happened too many times to me after fighting against a top player in a deathmatch server. Grrrrr.

Comment

It's just a matter of learning the map and learning how to move through it quickly. A Halo style health system would encourage camping as there'd be no reason to move from an easily defendable area once you got a good weapon.

Comment

Get The Autoshields Mutator, it adds 200 points worth of regenerating shields to all players

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
          It's just a matter of learning the map and learning how to move through it quickly. A Halo style health system would encourage camping as there'd be no reason to move from an easily defendable area once you got a good weapon.
          QFT. I'd hate to play on a map like Deck with that.

+1.

Comment

Working...
          X