X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modding Die by the Sword into UT3 (UE3)

Is UE3 capable of doing this?
    *cough*

"Die by the Sword is a computer swordfighting game developed by Treyarch, and published by Tantrum Entertainment (a sub-brand of Interplay Productions) on February 28, 1998. The title's main selling point was the introduction of the VSIM control system, which allowed players to independently command the movement and swordfighting of their ingame avatars; running, jumping, and turning with one hand, while simultaneously slashing, stabbing, and parrying with the other. While many games of this type allow for a similar dualism, Die by the Sword remains to this day unique in its treatment of physically correct and force based melee combat, as described below." -Wikipedia

Sounds fun? Gets better.

"The unique feature of this game is also the most widely praised. This is the ability for the player to fully control their sword arm, removing the need for pre-recorded animations and statistically-based gameplay. Instead, a physically correct model is used for each avatar and each weapon, and both movement and damage are calculated through forces.

For example, to perform a slashing attack with the default key combination, a player would press the 4 and 6 keys on the numeric keypad in slow succession. This will move the weapon from extreme left to right. The 8-2 combination will likewise perform a top-down striking motion. Blocking is accomplished similarly, not through a separate key or state like in all other games of this genre, but instead through the simple physical principle of positioning your weapon so that it intercepts, and blocks, the enemy's weapon. Shields operate like swords in this respect, though it is generally not possible to directly control the off-hand.

Alternatively, a player may opt to directly control his sword arm with mouse movements to gain more subtle control. This allows a player to fluidly move his weapon in any direction instead of being limited to the eight points of a keypad."

Now, the possibility I want to explore is, would mouse control hack n' slash work? Would it be difficult? Would it be even remotely possible? Die by the Sword rocks by the way, play it

It's very possible, but it would require massive amounts of coding to get it to barely work. I have played DBTS and this does sound like a good idea, but it really wouldn't be able to take off because of the workload involved in the development process -_-

Comment

Yes I imagined that coding it in should be complete brainf**k.
      Any ideas?

Comment

Well, it would be more logical to start a completely new modification that added that feature in amongst some other ones. But what I am starting to think is it might actually be impossible to do because it requires dynamic animations from the player model, and I'm not sure if that can be coded into a normal modification, you might need the full UE3 runtime. Which would basically entitle a new game in itself... And a really big hole in your wallet.

Comment

Goddamnit.

(If anyone doesn't get what I'm talking about here's the demo: http://www.download.com/Die-by-the-S..._4-884099.html )

Comment

I loved DBTS back in the day, having a mod for UT3 to relive the limbing fun would certainly be great. Using AnimTrees you could quite concievably mimic the sword swinging motions as long as you could blend by the mouse movement.Then it would just be a case of causing damage based on the speed of the weapon's collision with another player and hooking it into a gametype. No doubt it's more complicated than that, but it's a good direction to look into if they want to give it a shot.

Comment

I'd appreciate an answer from an UT3 modding guru or something really much. Anyone have an idea where those kind of people hang out?

Comment

Bump?

Comment

Good God, DBTS was a wicked game. One of my all time favorites.

However, I think that this would be so rediculously hard to pull off that it would take a whole new game to make it work.

I think you'd be better off finding out if Treyarch still exists and bugging them to make a sequel. Sure, it probably wouldn't go anywhere, but you never know what planting a seed can grow into.

Comment

Meh, well still not having a concrete answer on how hard is it doesn't exactly help
                    If that's not possible, then is Dark Messiah of Might and Magic style combat doable? Any players here?

Comment

Anyone? Seriously, how hard is it to make a simple melee combat system? Help?

Comment

Ack. I work with UE3 full time as a profession, and personally, I'd dread even the thought of implementing a VSIM system, although it is possible, getting a decent mouse movement detection system is very, very hard to implement if you need it to accurately reflect enough to have a real-time combat system.

I don't think you could have any kind of animation system without heavily modifying the animation system.

Quite simply put, it wouldn't be possible without the engine.

Comment

Never played the game because I never knew what i was about. Looks awesome, going to buy it when I get the chance.

From what i've read, there is a lot of movement calculations. I'd be interested ins eeing this idea used with the Wiimote. Recently the UDPlink and thingy was activated, so the use of Wiimote interfacing is more than possible now.

Ambershee: Sorry for bringing up the Wiimote again.

EDIT: Something for people to enjoy: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ge96uISNrNM & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D8Jfr-sIpM

Okay, if this project does get picked up, I would love to be map and conceptual artist. I can take on such a project, only if someone else is leading. I can only play as a minion on a team. If you want to see some of my work, check it out here. I'm more than qualified for mapping. My primary tool is Valve Hammer, but I've used Unreal Engine 1 & 2 for a couple of small projects. I don't have any screen shots of those since they are under NDA, but I'm more than qualified for Subtractive Mapping.

Idea:
                          Wiimote: Nunchuck for Shield movement, Wiimote for Sword Movement.
                          360 Controller: Left Thumbstick for Shield Movement, Right for Sword Movement.
                          Mouse: Right click to switch between Shield Movement and Sword Movement. Last position for shield will stick.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                            Ack. I work with UE3 full time as a profession, and personally, I'd dread even the thought of implementing a VSIM system, although it is possible, getting a decent mouse movement detection system is very, very hard to implement if you need it to accurately reflect enough to have a real-time combat system.

I don't think you could have any kind of animation system without heavily modifying the animation system.

Quite simply put, it wouldn't be possible without the engine.
                            Well, if you have played Dark Messiah (or if you haven't, then look at some of the gameplay footage on youtube), is that kind of combat system easier? It should be, and is it doable with the tools that UT3 comes with?

EDIT: ****! Nice work, kadjikun

Comment

Just got Die by the Sword in the mail, with Expansion. Going to try it out with the wiimote.

I can't stress this enough. I really want this project to happen! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                              X