Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MOD team recruiting (old maps to UT3)

Hey there,

I just set up a simple mod team, to structure the process of porting old maps from UT99, UT2kX and perhaps even other games, such as the Quake series, to UT3. In that way it's not really a mod, but just added content for UT3.

The reason is to share our strenghts, and to cooperate, instead of compete (if 2 people make the same map).

We are looking for:
    - Mappers
    - Texture/material experts (to port and possibly upgrade/remake the textures)
    - 1 Uscripter (there's not a great amount of functionality that has to be ported)
    - Perhaps 1 expert on lighting (for advice, support and perhaps doing the lighting on some maps)

The idea is to keep the maps as much as they were in their original version (to 'honour' the original authors), also by keeping the texures, but maybe to upgrade the old textures to high definition UT3 quality materials. And also to upgrade the lighting to UT3 quality. (not all old maps have excellent lighting, even though they may have been popular)

It may seem not the most creative process there is to port older maps, but we are doing the community a great service:
    - Supplying the community with lower-poly maps for better performance
    - Helping to make UT3 the new platform for gamers with different gaming backgrounds

I come from a UT99 instagib background, so the maps I have in mind so far are:
    - CTF-Duku (worked on)
    - CTF-BrokenLimits
    - CTF-Dreary
    - CTF-Sprinta
    - CTF-CommandCE
    - DM-Liandri
    - DM-Curse][
    - DM-Codex (already done by someone)
    - etc...

People from other backgrounds can also add their projects.

Meh. This low poly trend sucks for those of us who already exceed the frame-rate limit in the stock maps.

Regardless, I look forward to playing these maps-- beautiful or not. Just please, please include some high-quality textures =)

Comment

Originally posted by Harmatia View Post
      Meh. This low poly trend sucks for those of us who already exceed the frame-rate limit in the stock maps.

Regardless, I look forward to playing these maps-- beautiful or not. Just please, please include some high-quality textures =)
      Yeh it's my ultimate goal to remake the old textures into UT3 quality materials.

Those old maps just bring together all scenes into 1 single game, the best from the past and the current.

Comment

I don't care how many polys it has as long as they're true to the original.

Someone do CTF-EspritCE =D. I loved that map.

Comment

I was thinking of doing something similar to this myself.. its going to take a lot of hard work

Maps that need to be ported are

CTF-Eternal caves
          CTF-Gauntlet
          CTF-Orbital
          CTF-Facing worlds
          (musts for any ctf player)

DM.. hmm
          DM-Grinder
          DM-Liandri
          DM-Morbias (think its already been ported but it wasnt really much like the original)

To have 1:1 just with better textures would be great.. although it would be nice to add bits in (e.g. the corridor in deck from flak room to shock rifle part with a biorifle in the middle was good but it didnt honour the original map imo :\ )

Comment

Someone should do DM-Crane for UT3 ... without a doubt that was my fav DM map from UT .. yes even over Codex ... well maybe a tie. Yeah I loved that map and was happy to see a remake from Teddie for UT2K4 ... it would be so cool to see this redone and re imagined for UT3. And I am with shockwav ... who cares about polys if the map is true to the spirit and letter of the original and it has lots of great gameplay. But actually DM-Crane would be awesome if done with the new materials ... there is no doubt about that. But whatever I would just love to see this level brought to life in UT3. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by PyroFiRE View Post
              I was thinking of doing something similar to this myself.. its going to take a lot of hard work

Maps that need to be ported are

CTF-Eternal caves
              CTF-Gauntlet
              CTF-Orbital
              CTF-Facing worlds
              (musts for any ctf player)

DM.. hmm
              DM-Grinder
              DM-Liandri
              DM-Morbias (think its already been ported but it wasnt really much like the original)

To have 1:1 just with better textures would be great.. although it would be nice to add bits in (e.g. the corridor in deck from flak room to shock rifle part with a biorifle in the middle was good but it didnt honour the original map imo :\ )
              agree with him awasome maps butt November is the best CTF map for me (like the map is on PS2)

Comment

yea i think this is a great idea, ive always wanted these maps on ut3

a new UNrealEngine3 graphic DM - Hyperblast would be cool.
                good luck

Comment

Two of my favorite maps from UT 2004 was DM-Curse][ and Hyperblast.

If these get made, it would be nice to see them done in the stock form just like the ones from 2004.
                  Those were great maps.

Comment

I plan to remake Sprinta at some stage. And by remake, I mean properly remake rather than port

Comment

I'll help out where I can but i'm still trying to get my first map made.

Comment

I love the low-poly trend. There are a lot of low-end machines on my LAN, it's nice to get a good framerate. I also like how uncluttered they look, and in my opinion people put a bit more time into gameplay if they make low-poly maps.

Comment

bump
                          eheh

Comment

Originally posted by brisingre View Post
                            I love the low-poly trend. There are a lot of low-end machines on my LAN, it's nice to get a good framerate. I also like how uncluttered they look, and in my opinion people put a bit more time into gameplay if they make low-poly maps.
                            It would be nice if people put more time into the gameplay for all of their maps.

If someone does a remake/port, they can always create a map with lots of details (static meshes, emitters, PP volumes), then take that and strip away the unnecesary stuff to have a HOLP style map.

I really like what *il_beppe* did in his Tempest remake (nice quality, UT 3 visuals, but no clutter), but at the same time, also like Morg's Tempest X/X2 maps too.

Comment

Working...
                            X