PS3 Modding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 Modding...

Mysterial said in a different post(which is now locked) "You don't need the PC version to *use* mods, you just need it to *make* mods"

I have a PS3 and I was hoping I could make mods for it using my PC, however, it seems that you must have the PC version of the game in order to install the modding software..

My question is, why can't we just be able to download the modding software without having to buy the PC game? I find it a waste to spend another $50 to get modding software!! Don't you?

Agreed, very much

Comment

free ps3 tools would be nice for ps3 version owners. Especially because I don't want to buy a second copy to find out the things i want to make aren't even possible using the pc version.

that is guncon3 controller support, and use of remote play, like a silentscope mode where the aim zoom is only shown on the psp. Would these even be possible to make without access to the source code?

Comment

You can't just download the tool because it's built into UT3 and requires the game's assets. If they give a download of it, it would have most of the game included. You can't use the PS3 version because it's in a different format and you'd need a blu-ray drive to start with.

Not to mention, $50 for the ability to make a fully featured game using one of the top game engines currently on the market is a bargain when you consider how much other professional level commercial tools are.

And I'm not sure such things would be possible in a mod, gravyleaves, especially not the PSP connectivity, you'd probably need a full on engine license to do that as you'd need to the access to the hardware and I doubt unrealscript has such capabilities.

Comment

most of the game still not the full game. they need to come out with a way so that PS3 people can messa round with the mod

Comment

Yeah it does suck quite a bit, we paid more money then PC gamers and yet we don't even get the same content, epic fail again.

Comment

Originally posted by gravyleaves View Post
              guncon3 controller support
              How would that work? You'd need three hands; one to move around, one to look around and one to aim the gun.

Comment

Console games cost more than PC games because the console manufacturers take a chunk of the profit and expensive devkits are required to develop for consoles, it's nothing to do with what content is in the game. This is the first game to ever feature the ability to use mods on a console yet people still find reasons complaining and moan about it with out even trying to understand the reasoning behind why it is how it is.

When I said you'd need most of the game to be distributed with the editor I mean over 6gb of asset packages which come with the game for making new levels without having to use 100% custom content and all the compiled unrealscript packages to allow you to place entities in the maps and for it to know how to compile the mods' scripts which use them for class inheritance. Basically the only things which can be left out are the movies. This is basically giving the game out for free only without the frills just so people who've bought the PS3 version can make mods and levels, especially as a big feature of this version of UnrealED is that you can playtest your level in the editor. If you want the editor without any of the content to make every model and texture in the level from scratch, then you're going to be spending a lot more than $50 on the software required to do so.

This isn't Epic failing, this is ignorance on the part of certain consumers. If you want to make mods, buy the PC version, simple as that. Just be grateful that you'll be able play mods on the console version at all, they could have easily have not even bothered trying to get mod support working on consoles. There's literally no reason to be complaining.

Comment

I can see why people are mad about this for the console version but I expected not to be able to make the mods on the PS3 alone. (They also stated it several times that we are able to "PLAY" the mods, but not "CREATE" the mods on the PS3. Some people don't know how to take the hint directly (And I don't mean to be avid about this but seriously, come on!)

However I think people are used to games like Tony Hawk where they could create their own level (Hinted by your name sk8) but it can only be so big.

But this modding community is used to being able to create MASSIVE levels. and not just some pre rendered object placement. I'm talking about custom made statues of themselves in the middle of the map with weapons that have their engineering behind them.

To build something like that requires a computer that is able to run 3DS Max and Poser.

I hate to say it but Consoles are not ready for that yet, however the PS3 is able to run Blender in Linux. Although Linux doesn't have much support from Any game company.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                    How would that work? You'd need three hands; one to move around, one to look around and one to aim the gun.
                    WRONG. the guncon3 has TWO analog sticks on it. Control the sticks with your thumbs and use your trigger finger to shoot. Quite a new and cool way to control a fps. Time Crisis 4 includes a FPS mode, but its not the greatest display of potential for this sweet controller.

Comment

Question....

Any idea when PS3 mods for UT3 will start? I know the kits have not yet been released for ps3 formatting, anyone have a prediction when it comes out? How long b4 you expect to see ps3 mods to appear? Finally, what percentage of the pc mods will b exported to ps3?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex D View Post
                        And I'm not sure such things would be possible in a mod, gravyleaves, especially not the PSP connectivity, you'd probably need a full on engine license to do that as you'd need to the access to the hardware and I doubt unrealscript has such capabilities.
                        Not true with a little knowledge of Psp programing you can access the full potential of the psp system it may very well be possible to do this with a specialized custom firmware on the psp. the only problem would be with the hardware programing on the ps3 you would need to find some way to access the remote play feature on the ps3 dual streaming to bolth the ps3 and the tv. while the ps3 is more than capeble of doing so i sony has restricted what we can do with remote play. dont get me wrong it still could be possible but your going to need alot of programing to pull this idea off

Comment

I wasn't talking about whether it is possible to get the PS3 talking to the PSP, that's plenty possible if you own a devkit and are making actual games. I was talking about the fact that UT3 more than likely does not support such a feature and as such it is more than likely not available for mods. UnrealScript is an abstracted, platform independent programming sandbox, you don't have direct coding access to the hardware to do such things.

Comment

I don't necessarily need to use a PS3 for modding / mess around with it. Just grant users to use it on a PC even if they don't own the PC version.

There are many ways they could implemented this without having the need to buy for the PC. Even if the editor is 6gb, that's nothing...in fact just a tad over average for downloding these days. Heck the company I work for have downloads about that big and download daily.

Comment

Working...
                            X