"Cube" series map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by upL8N8 View Post
    A cube map wouldn't be fun unless it's for a puzzle only. Fighting wouldn't be fun. Also, the cube movies had each cube having weird effects, like time speed shifts, things that kill you, etc. I guess that would be interesting to add to maps, a dangerous environment.
    Well, please excuse me for disagreeing at the outset, but i honestly think the finished map(s) will be a lot of fun! As previously mentioned - as a trial for the concept,in a LAN, with a really basic 4x4 prototype map, each with adjoining corridors and a basic bot path, we had a wail of a time! The speed at which the game took place, combined with the claustrophobic rooms, we had such a tense (but happily so) atmosphere, we could have cut it with a knife, kneaded it and re-moulded it as an extra cube room!
    Unfortunately, though, the sheer simplicity of the prototype was too much for the bots in team deathmatch - they just gathered in large numbers in small rooms, waiting to be mown down by whichever lucky soul had the rocket launcher.

Also, at the moment, we have plans that our control room (pictured below, if the link's worked properly) will be a teleportable location (but rarely so), providing not only some useful weapons and powerups, but video feeds from certain other rooms that players have teleported into - alongside switches to lock down that room and trigger a trap sequence.

Marilol - thanks for your kind words! I'll be sure to pm you when we are in beta-testing stage, if you wish? (that's assuming the animations don't defeat us by then...)

Nawrot - dude! Thank you very much for just developing the whole teleporter thing further and even giving an instruction guide! Having thought over it, i can imagine somebody getting really hacked off if the wage of their prey is higher than their own, and ending up in an empty room, or even a trap room.

Just a couple of questions, though - is there any way of limiting the number of active teleporters and similarly, spawn points, depending on the number of active players? If that were not possible, is there any way of limiting the playable area of a map, short of producing three alternative sizes and attempting to tie them all together, to be chosen by the server admin?

Along the same lines, we are curious how to attribute the kills in the trap rooms to the player pushing the button in the control room. In a normal game, i have noticed that being shot/pushed off a map attributes the instigating player with the kill, so is there any way, that anyone knows of to lay hands on that piece of script or just mimicking that action with the trap room, please?

Anyway, thanks for your supportive comments and ideas, folks - will keep you (or this thread, rather) posted on progress. So, finally, here is yet another screenshot of what's in development. Sorry for no up-to-date images of the interiors of the cube, as of yet - while we have produced customised textures and materials for the walls and floors (heavily thieving off what's already included), we would rather the rooms were closer to completion first. Right then, waffle over.

Comment

As, for some reason i'm in a photoshopping mood, i hope that nobody minds, but i thought to include a sample of one of our custom wall textures. Then, i am off to sleep. Have a good night, everybody!
      R

Comment

If anyone's still interested in this concept for a map, i thought i'd go ahead and post a couple more updated screenshots - i hope this tickles your fancy! If so, let me know! If not, then .

[SHOT]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/RealF4lcon/ScreenShot00005.jpg[/SHOT]

[SHOT]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/RealF4lcon/CubeRoomUpdate2.jpg[/SHOT]

Comment

Wow, looks great! I hope this gets done soon. (A port to the PS3 would be appreciated.)

I'm still slightly confused, though. Are you using connectors or teleporters to allow you to get from cube to cube?

I think changing the layout of the cubes is an awesome idea, BTW. I hope that works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gameslaya View Post
            Wow, looks great! I hope this gets done soon. (A port to the PS3 would be appreciated.)

I'm still slightly confused, though. Are you using connectors or teleporters to allow you to get from cube to cube?

I think changing the layout of the cubes is an awesome idea, BTW. I hope that works out.
            That's very kind of you to say so, sir! It will indeed (and hopefully) be done soon, assuming the editor starts cookig my maps again - have just had the fabled cooking crash for all attempts this evening - so currently re-installing. When cooking returns to normal, and the map gets closer to completion (not that far now - just animations and bot pathing to sort out before going over it with a fine tooth comb), then will cook a beta for PC and PS3.

At the moment, we have connecting cubes to move from room to room, and teleporters scattered around on a random destination setting, to add to the element of confusion (and possibly relief if somebody's being chased), but also to give the opportunity to return to the top floors of the cube - after all, it's easy enough to get to the bottom floors!

Thanks again!
            R

Comment

weird ****, just watched cube 2: hypercube tonight then i see this post

Comment

Okay, please pm when its done.

By the way, i think if in any way you cause some one to die, like activate a killzone with a switch etc, then you get the kill, i think, you'll have to try it though otherwise its the last person to shoot you.

Comment

Thanks boss - will pm you when done and/or beta testing.

As a little update, we have pretty much finished building the normal rooms and control rooms - have even experimented with random teleporters and bot pathing, so this weekend will be starting/working on the movement animations and the trap rooms. Here are a couple of pics from the brief bot run we performed earlier today - hope you enjoy them (they can also be found in the "post a screenshot" thread):

[SHOT]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/RealF4lcon/ScreenShot00045.jpg[/SHOT]

[SHOT]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/RealF4lcon/ScreenShot00049.jpg[/SHOT]

[SHOT]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/RealF4lcon/ScreenShot00018.jpg[/SHOT]

R

Comment

have you a beta of this map available ?

Comment

Working...
                    X