X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REQUEST: CTF-Warsong-Gulch ^^

could be fun ^^
    no warlock!!

I stopped playing WoW, but i totally would play that map. It's balanced and low poly

Comment

Originally posted by Raze.at View Post
      It's balanced and low poly
      that's the idea

Comment

Haha, that would actually be really fun. I think this'd create a solid CTF map, yea.

Comment

Question is if you can make exact port, or how far with porting you can move before blizzard or epic lawyer calls you. I had idea for making CTF-Sandoria (City from FFXI) for long time.

where to draw the line:
          - layout
          - same style, but your own textures, models and details
          - textures and exact copy of details from orginal
          - can we use name of orginal. they all copyrighted, so CTF-Warsong-Gulch could make some trouble, but calling map diferently would make no sence as all WOW players would not know about it.

And how laid back is blizzard, I think mapper that want to create it should email first somebody at blizzard or at least ask on their US forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Nawrot View Post
            Question is if you can make exact port, or how far with porting you can move before blizzard or epic lawyer calls you. I had idea for making CTF-Sandoria (City from FFXI) for long time.

where to draw the line:
            - layout
            - same style, but your own textures, models and details
            - textures and exact copy of details from orginal
            - can we use name of orginal. they all copyrighted, so CTF-Warsong-Gulch could make some trouble, but calling map diferently would make no sence as all WOW players would not know about it.

And how laid back is blizzard, I think mapper that want to create it should email first somebody at blizzard or at least ask on their US forums.
            What if the mapper would only remake the bare terrain and used different textures and i.e crates instead of trees? Could they sue him because of that?

Otherwise: A huge amount of models/skins for hundreds of games are taken from movies/other games. I don't think anyone asked for permission.

Comment

interesting

but i hate wow!!!! ....i palyed warsong gulch for a whole summer and got hwl im kidna sick of it ;p

Comment

Originally posted by Raze.at View Post
                What if the mapper would only remake the bare terrain and used different textures and i.e crates instead of trees? Could they sue him because of that?

Otherwise: A huge amount of models/skins for hundreds of games are taken from movies/other games. I don't think anyone asked for permission.
                Couldn't he just play stupid? I've never fully understood that copyright thing, if one remakes something and swears he didn't steal the idea from a copyrighted source, can they then really sue him? And where is that line on when something is too similar?

Comment

most companies really aren't going to care if a person is making a free, downloadable version of a modified port of a level... in a lot of respects, it's considered Fan Art.

I'm not saying that you should not ask for permissions if you can, but if some time goes by and you never get a response, go ahead and do it... They aren't gonna get too bothered and/or sue unless you are actually trying to market or otherwise make money on their design... and in a lot of ways the company will more than likely think it good for their own business, as long as proper credit is given, because some players will undoubtedly want to see the original, drawing more people to that game for them...

And the absolute worst-case scenerio, you can claim you asked and never got a response... whereas they will probably ask you to take down the download... of course if you already had it available for some time, more than a few people will have already downloaded it and it will eventually become too much of a problem to ask every single person who has it to be rid of it.... Thus, in the end, you win by sheer numbers, since they won't want to waste money trying to pursue it too far...

Comment

If i find tutorials for total mapping noobs, i'll give it a try and make it.

But the first time i opened UnrealEd, i was overwhelmed with millions of icons to click ^^

Comment

Originally posted by ShadeMistress View Post
                      And the absolute worst-case scenerio, you can claim you asked and never got a response... whereas they will probably ask you to take down the download... of course if you already had it available for some time, more than a few people will have already downloaded it and it will eventually become too much of a problem to ask every single person who has it to be rid of it...
                      And thus they start sueing Epic for providing the opportunity (remember Napster ?) and we get the 'pleasure' of having to pay for 'premium' content with no chance of ever seeing anything made by an ordinary user ... just like the boys and girls on the Xbox!Live.
                      Epic's already got to many lawsuits to defend against ... Blizzard/Activision could kill them within weeks if they wanted to.

It's bad enough that we've practically lost the chance to spread our maps, mutators and other user-made content to the 360.
                      And I'm pretty sure that it'll take just one "hot coffee"-incident to cripple that feature for the PS3, even though Sony may initially appear to offer more freedom.

So please, do not attempt to play 'dumb'. Nobody is going to believe it.
                      And if you've bothered to ask them then they sure as hell aren't going to believe you when you say that you did not get their answer as they can easily claim that by asking you *did* know that you were about to break copyright law and you have to give them a 'reasonable' timeframe to respond.
                      It's not exactly uncommon for them to respond a few months or even a year later ...

Comment

I can't imagine Blizzard sueing the mapper for something like this. Blizzard has always been loyal to their fanbase, encouraging fan based stuff like art and mods, though thus far only for their own games. Even so, I personally don't think copying the textures would create a good CTF map since there is so much color in WoW that it would actually distract you from the actual thing, the colored enemy.

Anyhow, Warsong Gulch could be a perfect CTF map in terms of geometry, so I think it would only be a shame to let something that balanced pass by.

Comment

gief Alterac Valley map for warfare .
                          played wow too but its just boring ^^ .
                          and after that the arena maps come for 1on1 games .

Comment

I saw this idea buried in the forums and decided to ask Blizzard about it.

Heres the hopeful result

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...886424&sid=1#7

Edit: And yes, I have a friend talking about doing it. Whether he is too lazy or not to actually do it remains to be seen lol. Hes new to the editor as well.

Edit Edit: Look for green or blue text if you want official responses.

Comment

Glad to hear that someone really wants to make it. Tell him to post his progress on the forums ^^

Comment

Working...
                              X