Taunts and voices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taunts and voices

So this game has some of the worst taunts I’ve ever heard. The sounds of the liandri robot voices are also some of the worst voices I’ve ever heard for a robot. I would rather have the UT2004 robot voices completely replace it than hear that **** during my game. Better yet can someone make it to where all taunts completely replace the UT3 ones with the UT2004 ones? It would be very awesome.

First impression are that such things are not going to be possible.
    Reason ? There is no way to link a voicepack to a character. (in fact there's a comment that specifically states : "@TODO Voicepack" in that part of the code).

Comment

I actually use the german voices since they sound waaaay better with all english writing in menu and ingame

The default english voices are atrociously ghey!!!

Comment

The good news ?
        There doesn't appear to be any kind of limit on the amount of taunts a character can have (some have up to 30! That's a lot more than they used to have).
        I think I've figured out how custom-voicepackages can be made.

The bad news ?
        It requires quite a bit of nasty/ugly code (info) and you are going to be linking them to a new faction and characters within that faction if you want to hear the voices.

Basic workflow :
        • create a new class that extends UTVoice (this class has the actual taunts)
        • create a new class that extends UTFamilyInfo (this class links the character to the voicepack)
        • create character(s) that use your familyId as defined in your UTFamilyInfo-class

Script :
        // multiple sounds per type (you can do a dozen acknowledgements if you like)
        = TauntSounds
        = MatureTauntSounds
        = WeaponTauntSounds (20 maximum, index in the array appears to equal to weaponnumber)
        = EncouragementSounds
        = ManDownSounds
        = FlagKillSounds;
        = OrbKillSounds;
        = AckSounds;
        = FriendlyFireSounds;
        = GotYourBackSounds;
        = NeedOurFlagSounds;
        = SniperSounds; (stuff such as 'Sniper!')
        = InPositionSounds;
        = HaveFlagSounds;
        = HaveOrbSounds;
        = UnderAttackSounds;
        = AreaSecureSounds;

// single voice :
        = IncomingSound;
        = EnemyOrbCarrierSound;
        = EnemyFlagCarrierSound;
        = EnemyFlagCarrierHereSound;
        = EnemyFlagCarrierHighSound;
        = EnemyFlagCarrierLowSound;
        = MidfieldSound;
        = GotOurFlagSound;
        Note : I haven't tested this myself and it may change once Epic adds voicepacks as a standard feature for characters, but I think this is how it needs to be done for now.

Comment

I don't understand why it's not implemented already. They did the same thing with UT2003. For an engine that trumpets it mod-ability, it seems like a dumb backward-step.

Comment

How about custom voices of yourself.. You record your own voice into voice packs of a custom model that looks exactly like you.

Comment

Originally posted by theunknownsith View Post
              How about custom voices of yourself.. You record your own voice into voice packs of a custom model that looks exactly like you.
              I wouldn't like to see my body go instagib all the time ^^

Comment

Originally posted by theunknownsith View Post
                I was thinking to do this with my personal model, actually

Comment

I for one will wait it out until there's a good step-by-step tutorial on how to safely create new voicepacks for this. Lately I figured out how to export the .wav samples from the Warhammer: Dawn of War games, so the first UT3 voicepack I make is going to be right Orky.

Comment

Originally posted by The Chimpy View Post
                    I for one will wait it out until there's a good step-by-step tutorial on how to safely create new voicepacks for this. Lately I figured out how to export the .wav samples from the Warhammer: Dawn of War games, so the first UT3 voicepack I make is going to be right Orky.
                    Okay, this is an awesome, awesome idea.

Please push this one forward. I'd really really love to get all the voices from DOW into my ut3 post haste.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD BLOOOOOD FOR THE BLOOOOOOOOOOD GOD!!!!

Comment

@Chimpy
                      Hmmm... not to sound holier than the Pope, but... wouldn't that be illegal? (using sounds from one game and using them in another)

@Jafo
                      With the editor I saw it was possible to play the (voice)taunts. Isn't it possible to replace the file(s) or samples within the file(s)?

Edit:
                      I just tried to modify the samples for Bishop, but the editor tells me it's not possible to change 'cooked' packages. Is that the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by iycgtptyarvg View Post
                        Hmmm... not to sound holier than the Pope, but... wouldn't that be illegal? (using sounds from one game and using them in another)
                        I don't see any such complaints regarding the dozens of voicepacks ripped from all kinds of games and movies alike in the previous UT games - hell, last time I checked FilePlanet, Duke Nukem, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Futurama's Bender are some of the most downloaded 2k4 packs even now.

Comment

Working...
                        X