Mod Making for Dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Making for Dummies

I would like to learn how to make gametypes, mods, mutators and things. What advice can you guys give me about learning how? Is there a UT3 mod making for dummies book ?

If the SE of Ut3 features video tutorials concerning scripting it should be a good start.
    Second you should understand the technic of object orientated programming. I would suggest Java or Ruby as good OO languages and especially Ruby for beginners.

Once you know the basics you can start take a look at the UT Api and do some basic stuff.

I cant make those stuff myself atm yet, but uscript is not that hard to learn if you know the basic rules of programming.... like control mechanics, variables, instances of objects and so on.

Comment

Ruby ? man ... he's better of with C#.Net then at least he's going to have some skills to use in the real world :P
      // ---
      I think the best thing to do is to open some of the mutators that come with the game and see what they're doing and then modify them.

Of course this means that you need read code, but with a basic grasp of OO-concepts (I'd recommend "Head first: Object Oriented design and Analysis), C#.net at a basic level, an understanding of 'finite state machines' and the English language that should be possible.

Comment

Is C# for free ? I would rather take a look at Java, because I can't that that MS stuff. If you cant program at all Ruby is the best start.

Comment

i started with the SE of ut2k4 and a lot of default propperty editting (and a ton of copy+paste)

now i am starting to understand some of the code i see (about 25%)

anyway i suggest not trying to make gametypes but things like changed versons of weapons/vehicles/playersettings

and look at code from the game itself (.uc's) and try to understand what they do
          (I DO NOT SUGGEST TRYING TO LOOK AT THE LINKGUN, I HATE THAT CODE!)

Comment

Originally posted by KingLollo View Post
            Is C# for free ? I would rather take a look at Java, because I can't that that MS stuff. If you cant program at all Ruby is the best start.
            The 'express' versions are free ... and they got everything you need to get started. The 2008-versions also support Unit-testing ... which is something that was only available to high-end developer-teams.

(I hated MS as well because I used to love Borland/Delphi ... until I saw how good Visual Studio had become in 2005.)
            // ---

// Sarg-David :
            The link-gun is a mess because it had to do stuff that weapons weren't supposed to do in UT2kx.
            I'm sure they've cleaned it up in UT3 ... at least I hope so and the description of the new link-gun does sound like it has better design.

Comment

Working...
            X