No announcement yet.

Completely new UI for PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might as well make a Web Admin page.

I truly hope this is not true.
    http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=583616

Comment

Epic will more than likely do a webadmin, that might be a little heavy to handle for a modder..

Comment

It’s highly unlikely that were going to be able to adjust the menus without having a whole slew of issues when going online, but I will say this, we need one, and we need one badly! I think EPIC’s done a kick a$$ job on everything but the menu’s.

And I don’t mean to bag on Epic but it really does seem like the menu system was designed for a console and not a PC. It’s like they carried it over or something, which according to Mark Rein is impossible because “PC comes first, that’s where are loyal fans are”.

Sorry guys for the rant just frustrated with these menu’s!

Comment

Ah yes I heard a great deal about UTR but correct me if I'm wrong it never really got live did it?

Anyway as now we all know little to nothing has been changed (and how could it in just 3 weeks...) to both ingame and menu but I still have some hopes that epic will come with a patch a month after release or so to improve that what the beta was lacking if not I might consider not buying the game at all, seems also anti-cheat software is going to see moderations in the menu as cheats if that's the case wouldn't it be wise to work together with those people to make sure they don't detect the menu as cheat? I'm not really into the world of modding and such but logically it shouldn't be impossible right?

Comment

<Entropy> (In all honesty, it was a joint effort [between Epic & Midway], and there are still improvements planned for patches.)

We'll see, but I am still going to go ahead with this in the meantime.

It is too early to say what will cause incompatibilities.. In reality no anti-cheats even exist for this game yet, so they can design those around it if it were popular enough..

UTR did release an alpha, things were halted because our main coder decided to try to commandeer the project.. we may finish it we'll just have to see what is worth pursuing when things settle down a bit and we see where UT3 stands.

Comment

And the Beta Demo Feedback UI thread was closed...

Comment

If you have a custom UI, it will have to be added to the INI's startup line as a mutator, and then the interaction will have to be killed when you join an online game to prevent being kicked, thereby reverting back to the crappy menus. Unless Epic makes an exception on customized UI's (which they probably won't) it probably isn't possible or probable.

Comment

I think a new UI is really needed, i liked the classic Unreal/UT99 style best, it might look dated, but its just a classic and is mutch better than the one now IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by martinblank View Post
                    Perhaps you could get the author of the anti cheat mod (Epic, if it is built into the game) to "whitelist" the new UI so it would not be detected as a cheat?
                    Doubt that would ever happen... that would be Epic admitting the UI is a complete disaster, and by their total (non-) response here on the forums about everything UI it doesn't seem like that's something they're willing to do. I'm guessing the community will need to find a workaround to modifying the menus, and not rely on help from Epic.

Originally posted by Chromatik View Post
                    Especially if it completely owns the current UI.
                    I would bet a small number of moneys banging randomly on a few typewriters for a finite amount of time could pull that one off.

/end cheapshot jk

Originally posted by Insidiae View Post
                    I still have some hopes that epic will come with a patch a month after release
                    perhaps eventually, but surely no significant changes will be made by 'a month after release'. Think more 6+ months... Epic is currently working on the PS3 version so Sony doesn't cut their heads off, and then they will be working on the Xbox version so M$ doesn't cut their heads off.

Originally posted by picKLes View Post
                    Yeah, and even worse they un-stickied it, too.... effectively deleting (making un-bumpable) the whole 80-page thread, yet avoiding the accusations of actually directly deleting the thread that would surely result. Anyway, here's the thread, since it seems like an important one to examine for people considering making a new UI for the game. Obviously there's lots and lots of flaming in there to sift thru, cus people really hate the UI, but there are also lots of good ideas of changes that should be made.

Comment

I hate to say it (as its obviously a touchy touchy subject with epic) but someone posted the link below in a similar thread, and I agreed with them, before I knew the whole backstory. Anyhow, its still a very well laid out menu.

http://www.siliconknights.com/main.html

Comment

Originally posted by picKLes View Post
                        Given the universal love that was showered onto the UI, I'm surprised they didn't just close it sooner. I mean, with an awesome UI like that, why mess with perfection, right?

Oh, and the HUD has some things that make me chuckle in disbelief, too. The armor diagram is a joke. Love that perfectly round head you get with the helmet. Lol!

I'd love to do some alternate HUDs, and would cheer on anything that helps the UI, too. Other than that, I'm pretty satisfied. Except for that height bug...

Comment

Here's my current UI:
                          [shot]http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6609/advancedsettingshk0.png[/shot]

Comment

GG-Xtreme, however cynical, your Menu Levels comment does make a good point.

One thing Epic have done with the UI that I find quite off-putting is the fact that they appear to have made a decision to limit the amount of UI controls on the screen at once and have grouped them in a list, so when x number of controls are shown, you end up having to scroll down to get to the others. This is a tad annoying...actually very annoying. I prefer to see all controls on screen and if you have more than can fit, then divide them up into sections with tabs (although tabs are a touchy subject as too many lead to a bad UI).

I think it was a bad decision to limit the amount of controls displayed on screen at once. Remember how in the UT2004 video settings, we had all that stuff on screen at once?! There was no need for an "Advanced" section there. It made perfect sense and was not confusing whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by sinx View Post
                              GG-Xtreme, however cynical, your Menu Levels comment does make a good point.

One thing Epic have done with the UI that I find quite off-putting is the fact that they appear to have made a decision to limit the amount of UI controls on the screen at once and have grouped them in a list, so when x number of controls are shown, you end up having to scroll down to get to the others. This is a tad annoying...actually very annoying. I prefer to see all controls on screen and if you have more than can fit, then divide them up into sections with tabs (although tabs are a touchy subject as too many lead to a bad UI).

I think it was a bad decision to limit the amount of controls displayed on screen at once. Remember how in the UT2004 video settings, we had all that stuff on screen at once?! There was no need for an "Advanced" section there. It made perfect sense and was not confusing whatsoever.
                              well maybe in 2014 Epic/Midway will release UT4 and will not fµck it up again. And maybe it will be made for PC again and not console.

Or we are mega-extreme lucky and they will fix those 500 things we mentioned as "feedback" where they answered "thanks for the feedback" without doing anything from beta demo to release except calling it "gone gold".

Comment

So is this going to actually be happening? This is going to be awsome.

Comment

Working...
                                X