Completely new UI for PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completely new UI for PC

New menus, new server browser, new preferences screens.

The main point of it all is to let us tweak UT even more than we used to in the past 99/2k4.

Put, if not most, a LOT of the hidden settings in the .ini files in a jam-packed preferences screen full of sliders and buttons.

Bring back the mp3 player... make it 'UT aware', so you can set up play lists that kick in on certain maps or gametypes.

And make it all high-tech looking, instead of cartoony/consoley.

first lets see how much is possible with the new engine. And there could be problems with modifying menus (e.g. in UT2004 you got kicked by anti-cheats for custom menus). And if the engine doesn't support mp3s etc. it is not possible to create a player (at least not without the engine-source code).

Comment

For something like this is it possible for the server side to have it and push it down like maps/etc. Wouldn't be considered a cheat that way would it.
      Sorry for my ignorance - just trying to learn as I want to make some simply things to start off and if they are good would like to share them and have people use them for online play.

Comment

check out the thread i started:
        http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=581927

i guess i will be starting something soon.

Comment

I highly doubt you'd be able to play online with a modified UI.

Comment

Originally posted by MysTikal View Post
            I highly doubt you'd be able to play online with a modified UI.
            That was my argument about why I thought UT3 was built from the ground up for ps3. * cough* cross-multi-platform online play *cough*

Anyways, the person that can pull this off with an included tab for 'advanced tweaking' of the ini's would be a GOD here!!

Comment

I'll be making my own UI for launching the game, as my mod requires it. As far as the Game Preferences go, I could add something if I felt inclined but it's just more work that I don't need atm

But as suggested, replacing any of the default UI Classes is going to spell doom from anti-cheat systems. Something I've had to contend with in that previous version of my mod for UT2K4.

Comment

Dont know, if it possible. If yes, i'd install one of new menus. Some that doesnt share design with consoles.

Comment

Originally posted by sinx View Post
                  I'll be making my own UI for launching the game, as my mod requires it. As far as the Game Preferences go, I could add something if I felt inclined but it's just more work that I don't need atm

But as suggested, replacing any of the default UI Classes is going to spell doom from anti-cheat systems. Something I've had to contend with in that previous version of my mod for UT2K4.
                  Perhaps you could get the author of the anti cheat mod (Epic, if it is built into the game) to "whitelist" the new UI so it would not be detected as a cheat?

Comment

Well i guess you could make a UI and submit it to Epic, they might accept it make some changes to it(security reasons) and release it in a patch/alternative UI or something.

Should be easy to make an external application to edit ini files thou, its just loading and saving text files in its most basic form tbh.

Comment

go people! i hate the menu!

Comment

It would be great for offline mode but I imagine there will be issues with MP. Another thing to consider is break issues when and if Epic tweaks the UI themselves.

I say go for it anyway due to the experience you will gain. And who knows, maybe Epic will intergrate like Loki said. Especially if it completely owns the current UI.

Comment

I'm going to do this mod myself. I have planned:

New menu system
                          New HUD - Current UT3 HUD is an abomination..
                          Proper ammo/health font
                          Fixed playerscale/eyeheight issues
                          New scoreboards that actually show ping & don't block view at the end of the game..

Depending on how hard it is, possibly:

Server browser fixes
                          Lets you choose what team to join at beginning of match, a la Gears..

Comment

Here is an example of UT3's HUD.. I would have sworn this was a placeholder or something when I first saw it, but apparently it's still in the final:

Here is a mockup of the HUD I planned on integrating to UTR (UT2004 mod), I think with some alteration most aspects of it would look nice as a UT3 hud.. perhaps changing the positions to match..

Comment

http://ut2341.com/beta_anims.avi

If I had a simple screenshot to post, I would have but at the beginning of this video you can see the completely remade menu system I made in UTR, which functions via uWindows style dropdown menus. If it is possible I might implement it the same way again in UT3.

Basically my idea is that if I fix enough stuff, and make it as a mod rather than forcing these changes on the base install, it won't cause any issues and many people may choose to play my more aesthetically pleasing version instead

Otherwise it's shaping up to be a fantastic game, I just don't understand why they messed with so much stuff in the GUI, like they were purposely trying to make it imperfect for us PC users..

Comment

Working...
                              X