Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Importing a mesh with UV lightmap channel doesn't seem to work

Hello guys.

I can't figure out why I can't set a proper lightmapping of my mesh. I've done everything as in Hourences' guide , but I'm still getting a black mesh as a result. The problem seems to be with the UV channel not getting imported properly into UT3 itself, since that's what I've got: http://i.imgur.com/YEz16Rl.jpg. I suspect enabling this overlay should clearly show you your UV unwrapped map, right?

Normally I would expect something resembling this: http://i.imgur.com/88ZTLe3.jpg

I used 3DsMax 15 and Unwrella Demo plugin to autocreate UV.

Few more pics to make it more clear in case I might have missed something:

the actual look: http://i.imgur.com/ix5oftd.jpg
    an expected look (if I move the mesh a bit): http://i.imgur.com/27eSw9U.jpg

Please, help

Ok, maybe anyone will check my .ase mesh, then? I'm really stuck with this problem.

Comment

Are you placing it as an interpactor or mover? If so they will turn black but "wake up" when clicked on. It usually looks normal in game though.

Comment

Originally posted by DicRoNero View Post
        Ok, maybe anyone will check my .ase mesh, then? I'm really stuck with this problem.
        I can check it out. I import to UT3 from Blender...ASE should be about the same from each, though.

You should indeed see your lightmap in one of the UV channels if you imported correctly. Moving the actor in the editor viewport forces a "fake" dynamic light until next rebuild; this is the type of light you would want to have on a mover in-game, but such lighting can become a resource hog to enable on very many actors... You can try to let UT3 editor autogenerate a lightmap (and rebuild) to verify correct actor settings (the auto generation can sometimes look pretty bad). the autogenerated uv would also appear in one of the uv channels in the mesh editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Rumplehedskin View Post
          Are you placing it as an interpactor or mover? If so they will turn black but "wake up" when clicked on. It usually looks normal in game though.
          Nope, just add actor->add staticmesh

Originally posted by NickG View Post
          I can check it out. I import to UT3 from Blender...ASE should be about the same from each, though.

You should indeed see your lightmap in one of the UV channels if you imported correctly. Moving the actor in the editor viewport forces a "fake" dynamic light until next rebuild; this is the type of light you would want to have on a mover in-game, but such lighting can become a resource hog to enable on very many actors... You can try to let UT3 editor autogenerate a lightmap (and rebuild) to verify correct actor settings (the auto generation can sometimes look pretty bad). the autogenerated uv would also appear in one of the uv channels in the mesh editor.
          I tried auto-creating Unique UVs, but it isn't showing me anything either in that channel. It only shows something (a mess) if I set LightMapCoordinateIndex to 0.

Here's the .ASE file:
          http://cloud.bestla.com.au/owncloud/...42fd2&download

Comment

Your need to create material(s) for your mesh. (in your modeling program)

Comment

Your need to create material(s) for your mesh. (in your modeling program)
              You mean extra ones? I've got a material assigned to all the faces, it's just the only material I need. Can you please be a bit more specific?

Comment

You mean extra ones? I've got a material assigned to all the faces, it's just the only material I need. Can you please be a bit more specific?
                Your ASE does not have material/texture node setup
                View of the ASE from a text editor shows:
                Code:
                *MATERIAL_LIST {
                	*MATERIAL_COUNT 0
                }
                Once prepared and exported correctly, material section will look more like this in text:
                Code:
                *MATERIAL_LIST {
                	*MATERIAL_COUNT 1
                	*MATERIAL 0 {
                		*MATERIAL_NAME "Material.001"
                		*MATERIAL_CLASS "Standard"
                		*MATERIAL_AMBIENT 0.0000   0.0000   0.0000
                		*MATERIAL_DIFFUSE 0.8000   0.8000   0.8000
                		*MATERIAL_SPECULAR 1.0000   1.0000   1.0000
                		*MATERIAL_SHINE 0.5000
                		*MATERIAL_SHINESTRENGTH 0.0978
                		*MATERIAL_TRANSPARENCY 0.0000
                		*MATERIAL_WIRESIZE 1.0000
                		*MATERIAL_SHADING Blinn
                		*MATERIAL_XP_FALLOFF 0.0000
                		*MATERIAL_SELFILLUM 0.0000
                		*MATERIAL_FALLOFF In
                		*MATERIAL_XP_TYPE Filter
                	}
                }
                and you will have material reference at the end of Normals groups
                Code:
                			*MESH_FACENORMAL 1359	0.9986	0.0523	0.0000
                				*MESH_VERTEXNORMAL 783	0.9986	0.0523	0.0000
                				*MESH_VERTEXNORMAL 782	0.9986	0.0523	0.0000
                				*MESH_VERTEXNORMAL 778	0.9986	0.0523	0.0000
                		}
                	}
                	*PROP_MOTIONBLUR 0
                	*PROP_CASTSHADOW 1
                	*PROP_RECVSHADOW 1
                	*MATERIAL_REF 0
                }
                Did you not get an error upon import? Once you have set material and/or texture node correctly, you should not get an error, and your UV should import. I cannot get more specific for max, but I help you out if want to learn how to run your mesh(es) through blender. This would slow you down quite a bit, though, there is probably just a few things left to do in max before or during export.

Comment

Ok, I added a material and the mesh now imports into UT3 without any notifications, but the result is still the same; I'm not seeing anything in UV overlay either. Can you try importing it youself?

http://cloud.bestla.com.au/owncloud/...7cb00&download

It's crucial to know where the problem is: whether I haven't done everything right in 3dsMax at unwrapping phase or it's just me failing at UT3editor.

edit: I'm starting to suspect that this demo plugin simply doesn't export anything in the first place, thus being absolutely useless.

Comment

Ok, I added a material and the mesh now imports into UT3 without any notifications, but the result is still the same; I'm not seeing anything in UV overlay either. Can you try importing it youself?

http://cloud.bestla.com.au/owncloud/...7cb00&download

It's crucial to know where the problem is: whether I haven't done everything right in 3dsMax at unwrapping phase or it's just me failing at UT3editor.

edit: I'm starting to suspect that this demo plugin simply doesn't export anything in the first place, thus being absolutely useless.
                    Yeah, your second UV layer does not show up in Blender or UT3 Editor, only your Texture UV.

Comment

That's right, that's the plugin. ****, so much time wasted, yours included. Sorry for that and thank you so much for your replies.

Here's how it should have been from the very start (pumped brightness quite a bit for the screen):
                      http://i.imgur.com/M1Zctf9.jpg

I'm so happy now

Comment

That's right, that's the plugin. ****, so much time wasted, yours included. Sorry for that and thank you so much for your replies.

Here's how it should have been from the very start (pumped brightness quite a bit for the screen):
                        http://i.imgur.com/M1Zctf9.jpg

I'm so happy now
                        So, you just made your own lightmap unwrap and all is well?

Comment

So, you just made your own lightmap unwrap and all is well?
                          I used another Max and another plugin and it worked like a charm.

Comment

Working...
                          X