Custom CTF/VCTF Flag Texture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom CTF/VCTF Flag Texture?

Anybody know how I would go about making a custom CTF/VCTF flag texture server side? I made one for UT2004 about a year ago. Just made a white icon with an alpha channel background, and edited a couple lines of code (followed a tutorial). I haven't been successful in finding a tutorial for UT3. Any ideas?

Originally posted by Mr_Bean View Post
    Anybody know how I would go about making a custom CTF/VCTF flag texture server side? I made one for UT2004 about a year ago. Just made a white icon with an alpha channel background, and edited a couple lines of code (followed a tutorial). I haven't been successful in finding a tutorial for UT3. Any ideas?
    Use a mutator, perhaps. I think this is replicated stuff, so it should be simple, but I have not tested it.
    >>Create a package in the ut3 editor with your materials, let us assume it is named CTCFlagsPackage.upk for the duration of this post, and that you have named the material for the red flag, "CTCRedFlagMaterial", and the material for the blue flag, "CTCBlueFlagMaterial", then saved the package in your published and unpublished directories.
    >>Create script for Red and Blue flags which set your new materials
    Code:
    class CTCRedFlag extends UTCTFRedFlag;
    simulated function PostBeginPlay()
    {
            Super.PostBeginPlay()
    	SkelMesh.SetMaterial(1, Material'CTCFlagsPackage.CTCRedFlagMaterial');
    }
    Code:
    class CTCBlueFlag extends UTCTFBlueFlag;

{
            Super.PostBeginPlay()
    	SkelMesh.SetMaterial(1, Material'CTCFlagsPackage.CTCBlueFlagMaterial');
    }
    >>Create a mutator to replace the Flags with your sub-classed flags:
    Code:
    class CarpalFlags extends utmutator;

{

/* There may be a cheaper way to get the flag bases, I got this working setup from miked's post: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/699757-Custom-CTF-Flag?p=26831381&viewfull=1#post26831381 */
    local UTCTFBlueFlagBase BlueFlagBase;
    local UTCTFRedFlagBase RedFlagBase;

ForEach DynamicActors(class'UTCTFBlueFlagBase', BlueFlagBase)
    	{
    		BlueFlagBase.FlagType = class'CarpalFlags.CTCBlueFlag';
    	}

ForEach DynamicActors(class'UTCTFRedFlagBase', RedFlagBase)
    	{
    		RedFlagBase.FlagType = class'CarpalFlags.CTCRedFlag';
    	}

Super.PostBeginPlay();
    }

Comment

Man this was heck a nice of you for that detailed response NickG... much appreciated! OK, editor stuff is what I'm fairly good at. I don't really have any coding skill, but this is what I think I should do:

1 - Save these as three .uc files in my Src folder.
      2 - Go to my UTEditor.ini file. Under the [ModPackages] section, add 'ModPackages=CarpalFlags' as a line of code.
      3 - Compile.

As previously stated, I'm not really a coder so I'm kind of guessing. If I'm wrong could you kindly steer me in the right direction? I'll be posting my progress here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Bean View Post
        Man this was heck a nice of you for that detailed response NickG... much appreciated! OK, editor stuff is what I'm fairly good at. I don't really have any coding skill, but this is what I think I should do:

1 - Save these as three .uc files in my Src folder.
        2 - Go to my UTEditor.ini file. Under the [ModPackages] section, add 'ModPackages=CarpalFlags' as a line of code.
        3 - Compile.

As previously stated, I'm not really a coder so I'm kind of guessing. If I'm wrong could you kindly steer me in the right direction? I'll be posting my progress here.
        yes, that should work, but in step 1, I believe you should organize the source files into subdirectories, so that you have */Src/CarpalFlags/Classes/yourfiles.uc. I cannot remember if the compiler will still find them if you do not organize them in that manner, but it is a good practice either way. Work through this tutorial should you have trouble: http://www.moddb.com/games/unreal-to...ent-3-mutator/ If running the compiler from a windows 7 shortcut, you may receive a windows error message when closing the window after completion, don't mind it.

Comment

Hmmm... the material UE3 material editor is very different from UE2.5. I've been reading and practicing tutorials to familiarize myself with it. The stuff one can do is AMAZING... love this engine! I found the texture/material package for the flags, but I can't export them because they're "cooked". For UE2.5 I had this UTXgaffer tool I used for getting textures from their packages and manipulating them in Photoshop. I'm researching, but haven't come up with a method yet. I'm so close I can taste it. Just this last hurdle....

Comment

You can duplicate content from cooked package. Check this thread
            Tutorial - How to duplicate Epic content

You need to use a different tool. Somehow the built-in export feature is not working for every package. There are several programs which are able to extract textures, check the following thread.
            How to extract UT3 content (for UT2004)

Comment

Working...
            X