Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Character Collision Question

Solution in third post.

Hey guys, I am well into a fair sized project which requires a custom character. I have created custom characters with physics and animsets and animtrees and all that good stuff before. However I have realized a serious problem with my previous implementation; just like the UTPawn my TIPawn uses the CylinderComponent for collision:

Code:
    //Collision
    	Begin Object Name=CollisionCylinder
    		CollisionRadius=+00040.000000
    		CollisionHeight=+00000.000001
    	End Object
    	CylinderComponent=CollisionCylinder
    This is a problem because as far as I have been able to tell this cylinder occupies the space below the pivot point on my character. I have tried to find a way to simply move the cylinder up unsuccessfully. Now I am considering whether or not UT character meshes are simply exported with a pivot that is more towards the middle of the character or if there is some better way to apply collision to a Pawn. What do you do to create proper collision for your Pawn? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If it helps at all to understand, my problem is that I have collectible Items that you are meant to get when any part of the player touches them; however with the above method my Pawn either ends up floating on a collision block or when I have the height set to a minimum he can only collect items with his feet more or less.

Bump.

I really do need some help with this issue, I've found that using the above tiny collision cylinder causes collision issues with terrain so I need a proper solution. I don't like the idea of exporting the character with the pivot mid body it doesn't seem right since I've seen that Epics Characters stand on the grid in maya normally. How can I create collision properly, when I use the collision cylinder my Pawn is standing on top of it... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Solved

I found a solution, I'm behind schedule but I got it. The Trick is that when you enter the skeletal mesh editor in UDK you just need to move the mesh down using the origin X, Y, or Z depending on what your up direction is(it should be Y or Z). It may take a little guess work to get it right but it should work well enough once you've got it set.

Was a fair bit disappointed that no one was willing to help, although if you just didn't know than thanks anyways. Hopefully this helps other people if anyone has this problem.

Comment

I would really like to know the answer to this too. Your solution may work but it is not the right way to do it. There has to be some offset ability somewhere for the Capsule.

Comment

Actually I later realized that the Unreal Tournament characters are also setup this way; this is the correct method if you were still wondering.

Comment

Marvin,

This area of the forums is pretty quiet these days! I'd recommend going to the UDK area of the forums for a speedier response, especially with custom character advice.

Comment

Ok, thank you PorkSword

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin.Star View Post
                I found a solution, I'm behind schedule but I got it. The Trick is that when you enter the skeletal mesh editor in UDK you just need to move the mesh down using the origin X, Y, or Z depending on what your up direction is(it should be Y or Z). It may take a little guess work to get it right but it should work well enough once you've got it set.

Was a fair bit disappointed that no one was willing to help, although if you just didn't know than thanks anyways. Hopefully this helps other people if anyone has this problem.
                Thanks Marvin, I 've been struggling with exactly the same question for couple of days, I tried to move the collision cylinder using
                translation=(z=20)
                , however this cause some more strange problem.
                I'm lucky to find your post here.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin.Star View Post

Thanks Marvin, I 've been struggling with exactly the same question for couple of days, I tried to move the collision cylinder using
                  translation=(z=20)
                  , however this cause some more strange problem.
                  I'm lucky to find your post here.

Comment

Working...
                  X