Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Doc Savage626 View Post
    i shut the grid off. ive found a foolproof way to map without the grid snap enabled while still having everything aligned.
    While it's your map that you risk messing up, I don't think this is "possible' when it comes to BSP. Static meshes and most other actors aren't really effected by the grid being on, but I know that BSP is definitely effected by it.

1: is there a way to change the background color? and possibly the color of the grid? i'm having trouble seeing rendered shapes in the level as they are the same gray color as the grid and i cant select them in the top view port.
    Not that I know of. You can change the color of specific brushes/volumes/meshes/movers though. Out of curiosity, what exactly are you having trouble identifying?

2: how do i make curved walls with the .. erm. that "cookie cutter" thing i use to make blocks? (lol. "cookie cutter", im so new ) should i just csg-subtract a cylinder in a corner? id love to have some tutorials on mapping techniques if there are any available.
    While you can make a "curved" wall with BSP, it's not ideal. BSP is mean for simple shapes and the more complex you make them, the bigger chance you have of getting a nasty BSP error.

This is more probable (almost a certainty) if you leave the grid snap off.

In my signature, there is a link to a UT 3 tutorial page I maintain (since we are in a UT 3 editing forum). Most of it should apply to the UDK editor as well.

While I have a few UDK tutorials at the bottom, there is a lot more out there on the web (Stevelois list for example)

[quote[3: can you direct me to how i can change the game around via scripting? or is this in the help files as well?[/QUOTE]

I am just a level designer with no experience in scripting. I think there might be some basic intro tutorials by ambershee <sp>, but I don't know exactly where they are located.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i shut the grid off. ive found a foolproof way to map without the grid snap enabled while still having everything aligned. i think it might be some percentage bull i cant figure out atm lol. but ive found a way that works for me. now i have 2 questions:

1: is there a way to change the background color? and possibly the color of the grid? i'm having trouble seeing rendered shapes in the level as they are the same gray color as the grid and i cant select them in the top view port.

2: how do i make curved walls with the .. erm. that "cookie cutter" thing i use to make blocks? (lol. "cookie cutter", im so new ) should i just csg-subtract a cylinder in a corner? id love to have some tutorials on mapping techniques if there are any available.

3: can you direct me to how i can change the game around via scripting? or is this in the help files as well?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Doc Savage626 View Post
    i have an image of exactly what im talking about:
    http://i.imgur.com/xpbkX.png
    Since you have the grid enabled (and set at 16 in this picture) and your not in brush editing mode....

When you create the builder brush, are you entering a value that can be divided by the current grid setting?

For example, if you have a grid of 16 enabled and enter a value of 36, that can't fit on that grid exactly, so you will run into problem.s

If this is a mesh/mover, then is it sized correctly? Is is a custom mesh?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i have an image of exactly what im talking about:
    http://i.imgur.com/xpbkX.png
    i have not found a way to align it properly so i shut the grid off. also is there a way to change the background color? and possibly thew color of the grid? im having trouble seeing rendered shapes in the level as they are the same grey color as the grid and i cant select them

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by lockdown1101 View Post
    For instance, Rocket works and the Flak ball works, but stinger projectiles don't. Likewise, Shock ball works but shock beam does not... any idea on that one?
    I think it's just a "bug" in the game code as this seems to work on Epic maps (DM-Turbine).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    "generic browser" or whatever it is rather than the old browser windows in the 2k4 editor sucks tbh, put me off mapping straight away, especially since you have to make a shortcut to get to all the packages......

but i don't have the patience for mapping

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You have any idea how to solve the selective Take Damage bug I'm getting? Whenever I tell a static mesh to be setup with a Take Damage trigger, it works fine as a blank accepting any damage. As soon as I tell it a specific damage type, it will only accept the splash damage types of what I told it. For instance, Rocket works and the Flak ball works, but stinger projectiles don't. Likewise, Shock ball works but shock beam does not... any idea on that one?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by lockdown1101 View Post
    When I first started using the editor, I'd notice that my mouse would sometimes altogether disappear until I clicked around like an idiot to get it back. Then it would come back until I tried to do whatever I was doing and completely go away again... This still happens now and then. Especially with the terrain tool.
    This can happen when you double-click an actor bring up the properties window and the properties window appears right in front of the mouse. I just now press the F4 key out of habit.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you compare UE3 with UDK, you will hurt yourself.

I've noticed so many quirks with UE3 that didn't exist in UDK. For instance, right this second I'm trying to assign a factory type in an Actor Factory... every time I click, it acts as if nothing happens and doesn't do anything. Bug.

When I first started using the editor, I'd notice that my mouse would sometimes altogether disappear until I clicked around like an idiot to get it back. Then it would come back until I tried to do whatever I was doing and completely go away again... This still happens now and then. Especially with the terrain tool.

But yeah... it has it's advantages. Like building a map for a game that's ready to be played instead of playing on UDK's demo and only being able to enjoy your maps by yourself.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I believe this generation of editor is the best yet. But there are new things to learn.

You can still map subtractively, it's just a little different setup. First off, don't choose "subtractive" when you first create a map.

Choose "additive", place an additive brush that will be as big as your level, then start subtracting away. This way, you can still use a sky dome and directional lights.

I Are you trying to snap meshes or BSP to the grid. I know you can right click on either a brush or vertex of a brush and it will snap to the nearest grid point.

I don't recall if there is a menu option though as it's been a while since working with meshes. Keep in mind that you need to have the check box near where you set your grid size checked for stuff to keep snapped to the grid.

You can also try adjusting the value in the Movement <?> section of the meshes properties to try and reset it.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Help cant map with this

Help cant map with this

ok theres a TON of things wrong. one being you cant map subtractiveley. that was a ,mistake taking that out.

another being i cant align ANYTHING to a grid. it says to align to grid right click and choose align and move actors to grid. THATS not there either? is the help documentation PURPOSELEY misleading? because i cant get anything to stay on the grid once ive moved it, walls are partially in floors, etc. its very annoying! ive had much hope in this editor but i feel ive been let down. any idea where i can find solutions to my problems?
Working...
X