Skylights not working with directional light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skylights not working with directional light

I have a skylilght in my map. I want a directional light to simulate outdoor lighting but when I place one, the darkened areas go back to being very dark after a build. If I remove the directional light, the skylight works. Any fix to this besides not having one?

they will both work together. assuming you have a skydome... turn off accept lights and cast shadows in its properties.

Comment

No it's not the skydome. The skylight works until I place a directional light. The shadows from the directional light remain pitch black.

Comment

did you set the lower brightness on your skylight? hard to tell without a pic or actually seeing the map

Comment

Originally posted by mudcrab View Post
          No it's not the skydome. The skylight works until I place a directional light. The shadows from the directional light remain pitch black.
          As was said before have you made sure you have turned off cast shadows on the skydome?

It is a mesh and the light source when using a directional lights comes from outside of the entire map; so if you have the skydome casting a shadow, it block all the light creating darkness all over the map.

Edit: Also if you are just talking about shadows in general cast from the directional light, they will be pitch black with no other light source. Many outdoor maps will have about 8 directional lights, all of different intensities facing 45 degrees from each other to cast light in all directions. This creates an ambience and imitates the reflection of light off objects meaning that shadows won't be so harsh and will be more realistic.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep these in mind. However it's not the skydome. Whenever I place a skylight or adjust it everything is brightened, but after a rebuild of the lighting the interiors and shadows go back to being very dark. Hoping I can get a picture up later.

Comment

Okay I have a picture. Basically there's still darkened areas. It only works if I adjust it but if I do a full build it goes back to how it looks here..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57057925@N08/5604871726/

Comment

Don't use a skylight, use directional lights. I notice you are doing a space map so you may need a 360 coverage of lighting to light all angles.

Comment

Almost every UT 3 could probably use a skylight, given the engine's lighting limitations. You should be using a directional light to cast light from the major light source (moon/sun/etc).

A skylight can still be used to fill in the dark places because lights don't bounce off "stuff" in the UT 3 editor. Just use a light color that is common or neutral and keep it's brightness very, very low.

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
                    Almost every UT 3 could probably use a skylight, given the engine's lighting limitations. You should be using a directional light to cast light from the major light source (moon/sun/etc).

A skylight can still be used to fill in the dark places because lights don't bounce off "stuff" in the UT 3 editor. Just use a light color that is common or neutral and keep it's brightness very, very low.
                    Ok well that wasn't exactly what I meant and I agree, but it doesn't answer why his skylight is not uniformly lighting the entire map. It seems to be casting the light from the skylight, whereas I was always under the impression that the light was just there cast from nowhere, creating a base level of lighting.

Comment

What type of level you've created? Additive or Subtractive? If i understood correctly, you are not using skydome/skysphere?

Then probably your map's sky is Subtractive which causes it to be lit as the Subtractive level.

Usually, Subtractive levels blocks directional lightning instantly after rebuild. I strongly recommend using skydomes with casting shadows - off.

Directional lights cast lightning on entire level. It seems that in case of Subtractive, everything is caught inside it's own shadow. Lightning is ''cut'' as soon as it hits polygon surface.

You could disable static shadows on that directional light, but this sometimes may ruin ligtning scheme or cause you extra-work on tweaking.

Comment

i took a look at the map... problem is solved. he had an extra random skylight that was causing issues. plus the lower brightness on the the skylight was not set.. making ceilings appear black.

btw it was additive and meshes had proper settings

Comment

Working...
                        X