Bad texture wrapping on Mesh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad texture wrapping on Mesh

So i'm working on a re-creation of a 2004 map and i've finally managed to successfully extract and import all the assets from 2K4, problem is some of the textures on a few important meshes aren't lining up correctly , for example on a particular mesh the Lava flow looks right but then in several spots it flows backwards (uphill) I'll improvise if i i have to but i'm wondering is there a way to correct the textures on this mesh then re-import it so everything lines-up texture wise and flows the way its supposed to?

There are also some weird lines on the imported mesh(s) - kind of like a split right down the middle of the mesh which show seams that were not there in the 2004 mesh / editor. I've had both editors open side by side studying these things for a few hours, i've done some searching, - i consider my self to be fairly proficient with the editor but on this particular deal i'm in over my head, its time to stop being stubborn and ask for help.

Quick someone hurry and press the 1-star rating button fast........ <inside joke>

perhaps the export of the UT2004 meshes messed something up, not sure. But it happened to me also when trying to convert a UT2004 map.

Comment

Well i imagine there must be a way to correct the texture on the mesh, 3DSM?
      Yeah when things get seamed and stuff is reversed right along side its self there's nothing TextureCoordinate can do to help with that problem obviously.

At least i know i'm not alone on this.

I betcha Thalos knows, maybe if we figure it out this thread can help someone else, i haven't been able to find anything on this.

Thx for the response man.

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure if the umodel program can extract UT2004 meshes from their usx packages, but I'll investigate.

Comment

Sounds good. <let me know if it works>

Meanwhile i'll see what i can come up with - for now as a work around solution i'm going to make a special brush (Geometry Mode) in place of the mesh, then i'll convert the brush to a mesh in the editor as soon as i dial in the textures, crazy bunch of extra work because of all the angles on the brush.

Comment

i had same issue on quite all conversions; some meshes are oversized; others are undersized; some are misaligned or even rotated; a few or more are missing and a minority is well converted
            that s why i often change em for UT3 addapted ones
            +the resolution on meshes & textures is often low
            though the converter saved thousand hours of mesurements for each conversion as it perfectly convert bsp and volumes

example for the last conversions i did this week:

1st:75% of the SM well converted; 100% of the textures; weapons & interpactors
            2nd:0% of the SM; weapons bases & interpactors and 100% of the textures

for the lighting & botpathing i always delete all after a watch as it often dont fit to *ut3*
            u re not alone bro haha^^

Comment

Good points Bl!tz, this converter is an awesome time saver because what we had to do before was if you wanted UT99 to UT3 1st you had to go UT99 transform all - export, then import the T3D in the UT2K4 editor, then same process again from UT2K4 to UT3 .. (time consuming and tedious)

I'm sure there is a way to re-texture the 2K4 meshes though, its a shame to have an otherwise perfect mesh designed specifically for a map with bogus texture alignment.

Comment

Seam Removal:
                ASE is a plain text format, you can open these models with notepad++ to delete the seams if they are caused by "smoothing" otherwise you may have a lighting issue. I suggest notepadd++ or similar because you can box- select.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                  Seam Removal:
                  ASE is a plain text format, you can open these models with notepad++ to delete the seams if they are caused by "smoothing" otherwise you may have a lighting issue. I suggest notepadd++ or similar because you can box- select.
                  good thinkin

Comment

Working...
                  X