Kismet and killing player with mover and with volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kismet and killing player with mover and with volume

Two problems here, both trying to kill a player like was done in UT99.

First one :

I have a moving train that is started by a trigger and it hits the player that
    triggered it, now I want the player to die. I have figured out how to make
    an event associated with the train/interpactor to "causeDamage",
    but cannot figure out how to only damage the person hit, right now it
    damages/kills most everyone ( bots and I ) in the map when any player
    gets hit by the train. See attached picture of the Kismet scene for this.
    (Well, I would attach a picture, but it seems like this only supports
    referencing a URL for now and I don't have a web server to put a
    picture on.)

My current Kismet is a "interpactor_2 mover" with the "Hit actor" going
    to a "Cause Damage" event "In node" and then a "Player object" between
    the 2, connecting the "actor hit" and the "target". It kills, but does
    everyone.

This would be like just adding the flag "damage when encroached" in
    UT99 for a mover, which of course doesn't exist in UT3 .

Second one :

I want to kill a player on a platform above the playing area by another
    player tripping a trigger and have the player on the platform be crushed.
    This would be like using a pressure zone on UT99 and triggering the
    zone to become active when U see the player in it. I cannot figure
    out how to trigger a "volume" in UT3 to become active and kill only
    the player in the volume, it appears to me they are all active all the time.

Thanks...

Bob

use an empty (???) object variable instead of Player, or uncheck bAllPlayers using Player. Perhaps the second method is better if you do not wish to cause damage to vehicles or projectiles, but I am not sure if that helps. It is better to add second and third invisible copies of the train mesh attached to the visible train, which are scaled and set to cause front and side damage amounts. BTW there is still some encroach settings in interpactor or rigdbody actor, but the extra meshes method seems to be more controllable.

second; you can actually toggle a volume on and off by targeting it with the kismet Toggle action.

Comment

I have tried the empty object variable before the Player, and have unchecked bAllPlayers before posting the question. The same results occur in that I and like
      most of the bots in the offline play/test die when the train hits anyone.

I don't need to cause side damage, since the "train" is more like a subway in a tunnel
      like area and there is no avoiding the train once it starts at the player.

Bob

Comment

select all your kismet and copy/paste to here

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
          select all your kismet and copy/paste to here
          What do you mean select all Kismet and copy/past? In the Kismet window you can select them all using CTRL + ALT and sweeping, but there is no copy popup if you right click on the selected items... you just get Kismet menu items.

Comment

Well, I solved the second item in my list of questions/help. Basically did the following by starting fresh:

added "Level Startup", "Trigger Touch", Delay, Toggle and an Object referenced to the UTKillZVolume. The "Out" of the Level Startup connected to the "Turn Off" of the Toggle. The "Touched" of the Trigger(s) connected to the "Start" of the Delay and the "Turn On" of the Toggle. The "Finished" of the Delay connected to the "Turn Off" of the Toggle. The "Target" of the Toggle connected to the Volume Object".

So it works like this, the Level Startup turns off the Toggle/Volume when the games starts. The Triggers when activated turns on the Toggle which turns on the Volume, and starts a Delay of 5 seconds ( allow the volume to kill the player ). When the Delay finishes it turns the Toggle/Volume off again.

Haven't figured out the train thing yet, all items connected to the "Target" of the Cause Damage item kills more than the player who got hit by the train. I may have to attach a UTKillZVolume to the front of the train and turn it off when the level starts and have the Trigger turn it on when the train starts similar to the above for a triggered volume.

Bob

Comment

I wouldn't say "have to", as this has been done many other various ways in the history of UT3 and these forums.

Comment

[QUOTE=NickG;27624296]I wouldn't say "have to", as this has been done many other various ways in the history of UT3 and these forums.[/QUOTE

Hum.......... show me the thread, I search multiple times for "crushing player" "triggering volume" etc. etc. without any success in finding anything, thus the post I put up.

Bob

Comment

There are many. (These things get buried after a while.) Here are three dealing with trains specifically:
                  http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=702994
                  http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=681328
                  http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=679604

BTW, you can also look at the kismet in some of the existing maps with well implemented train damage.

CTRL+C can still be used for copy, and CTRL+V for past in the kismet editor window.

This is the damage causing setup for one of the trains in that last link. If you pasted it to yours you can see a working setup, but in order to use it you would have to right click the InterpActor_2 Mover event and re-assign it to your interpactor in your map. For this test it is also required that you disable disable or remove your previous sequence
                  Code:
                  Begin Object Class=SeqEvent_Mover Name=SeqEvent_Mover_0 Archetype=SeqEvent_Mover'Engine.Default__SeqEvent_Mover'
                     StayOpenTime=4.000000
                     Originator=InterpActor'InterpActor_2'
                     MaxWidth=147
                     OutputLinks(0)=(DrawY=389,bHidden=True)
                     OutputLinks(1)=(DrawY=411,bHidden=True)
                     OutputLinks(2)=(DrawY=433,bHidden=True)
                     OutputLinks(3)=(Links=((LinkedOp=SeqAct_CauseDamage'SeqAct_CauseDamage_6')),DrawY=386)
                     VariableLinks(0)=(bHidden=True,DrawX=1872)
                     VariableLinks(1)=(LinkedVariables=(SeqVar_Object'SeqVar_Object_6'),DrawX=1897)
                     ObjInstanceVersion=1
                     ParentSequence=Sequence'Main_Sequence'
                     ObjPosX=1824
                     ObjPosY=320
                     ObjName="InterpActor_2 Mover"
                     DrawWidth=111
                     DrawHeight=144
                     Name="SeqEvent_Mover_0"
                     ObjectArchetype=SeqEvent_Mover'Engine.Default__SeqEvent_Mover'
                  End Object
                  Begin Object Class=SeqAct_CauseDamage Name=SeqAct_CauseDamage_6 Archetype=SeqAct_CauseDamage'Engine.Default__SeqAct_CauseDamage'
                     InputLinks(0)=(DrawY=346)
                     OutputLinks(0)=(DrawY=346,bHidden=True)
                     VariableLinks(0)=(LinkedVariables=(SeqVar_Object'SeqVar_Object_6',SeqVar_Object'SeqVar_Object_4'),DrawX=2046)
                     VariableLinks(1)=(LinkedVariables=(SeqVar_Float'SeqVar_Float_2'),DrawX=2109)
                     VariableLinks(2)=(bHidden=True,DrawX=2118)
                     VariableLinks(3)=(ExpectedType=Class'Engine.SeqVar_Object',LinkedVariables=(SeqVar_Object'SeqVar_Object_5'),LinkDesc="DamageType",PropertyName="DamageType",MaxVars=255,DrawX=2176)
                     ObjInstanceVersion=2
                     ObjPosX=2008
                     ObjPosY=312
                     DrawWidth=210
                     DrawHeight=77
                     Name="SeqAct_CauseDamage_6"
                     ObjectArchetype=SeqAct_CauseDamage'Engine.Default__SeqAct_CauseDamage'
                  End Object
                  Begin Object Class=SeqVar_Object Name=SeqVar_Object_6 Archetype=SeqVar_Object'Engine.Default__SeqVar_Object'
                     ObjInstanceVersion=1
                     ObjPosX=2008
                     ObjPosY=512
                     DrawWidth=32
                     DrawHeight=32
                     Name="SeqVar_Object_6"
                     ObjectArchetype=SeqVar_Object'Engine.Default__SeqVar_Object'
                  End Object
                  Begin Object Class=SeqVar_Float Name=SeqVar_Float_2 Archetype=SeqVar_Float'Engine.Default__SeqVar_Float'
                     FloatValue=10000.000000
                     ObjInstanceVersion=1
                     ObjPosX=2064
                     ObjPosY=432
                     DrawWidth=32
                     DrawHeight=32
                     Name="SeqVar_Float_2"
                     ObjectArchetype=SeqVar_Float'Engine.Default__SeqVar_Float'
                  End Object
                  Begin Object Class=SeqVar_Object Name=SeqVar_Object_5 Archetype=SeqVar_Object'Engine.Default__SeqVar_Object'
                     ObjValue=Class'UTGame.UTDmgType_VehicleCollision'
                     ObjInstanceVersion=1
                     ObjPosX=2143
                     ObjPosY=431
                     DrawWidth=32
                     DrawHeight=32
                     Name="SeqVar_Object_5"
                     ObjectArchetype=SeqVar_Object'Engine.Default__SeqVar_Object'
                  End Object

Comment

both these war maps have trains causing damage

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...ght=WAR-Subway

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...WAR-Wastelands

Comment

NickG : thanks for the links, the first link got me to where I wanted to be for the train thing, and as I stated before, I had solved the UTKillZVolume.
                      So, I decided to upload snapshots of my Kismet solution for the train, remember I don't need to worry about the sides or top, those are not accessible to the players. Oh ya, the train solution not only kills the player that started the train running, but also anyone who happens to be standing around in the tunnel and gets hit, a good thing as far as I am concerned.

The train hit kismet :

and the volume solution :

Comment

make sure to do a bolean check, look at the kismet in my healpod3 remake.

Comment

Working...
                        X