Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making transparent textures for weapons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making transparent textures for weapons?

Let say that I am done making a 3d model in 3ds max. How can I make just some parts of the 3d model be transparent? I made the textures but will I have to do this in Unreal Editor?

Weapons use materials and not plain textures, right? So set some medium opacity (transparency) and make an opacity mask texture sample for your material(s).

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
      Weapons use materials and not plain textures, right? So set some medium opacity (transparency) and make an opacity mask texture sample for your material(s).
      Yes but I have to make a UVW layout after I am finish modeling in 3ds max. When I am texturing in Photoshop. Are you saying that I make some of the parts in Photoshop transparent or Unreal Editor(If so in UE, how do I do so?)? You know I want just some parts of my weapon to be transparent.

Here is a example of what I want:

I want a transparent blue ball, you can also see the machine parts inside the ball.

Comment

In that case I would just set up a separate material slot and UV for the ball before export. Then, in UT3, set up an additive material for the ball, or perhaps use one of the existing materials as a test, or even permanently to reduce the size of the content. The Scavenger shield material(s) are a good example of this. Note that this additive mode does not "reflect" light. You may need to use the coloration material layered added with another material which uses one of the lit modes, if you need some specular stuff on the blue part, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
          In that case I would just set up a separate material slot and UV for the ball before export. Then, in UT3, set up an additive material for the ball, or perhaps use one of the existing materials as a test, or even permanently to reduce the size of the content. The Scavenger shield material(s) are a good example of this. Note that this additive mode does not "reflect" light. You may need to use the coloration material layered added with another material which uses one of the lit modes, if you need some specular stuff on the blue part, for example.
          So make a second UVW layout for the 3d model in max but with just the ball colored? What is a Scavenger Shield? Are you also saying I will have to make a 3rd layer also?

Comment

-Yes.
            -Scavenger is a stock UT3 vehicle with a similar effect (transparent ball around the inner "workings")
            -maybe: depends on the complexity of your desired effect. I would start off with just the one extra UV for the ball; for the additive material. I am not sure about a third layer, I think it would be better to have a separate but identical mesh object and set a different material to each if you needed to experiment with that possibility, just using two materials, one of which is additive.

Comment

Posted by NickG;27339701
              Yes.
              Ok.
              -Scavenger is a stock UT3 vehicle with a similar effect (transparent ball around the inner "workings")
              Oh ya! I forgot about that vehicle. That was a cool vehicle...
              -maybe: depends on the complexity of your desired effect. I would start off with just the one extra UV for the ball; for the additive material. I am not sure about a third layer, I think it would be better to have a separate but identical mesh object and set a different material to each if you needed to experiment with that possibility, just using two materials, one of which is additive.
              Ok. Maybe showing picture example would help also...

Comment

I don't use the same modeling program. Just make a separate mesh if you can't think of another way to employ separate materials.

Comment

Working...
                X