Skybox (oldschool) for UT3ED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skybox (oldschool) for UT3ED

is it possible to bring back the oldschool Skybox/zone info method in UT3 to create a infinitly remote skybox?

i read somewhere that it is possible to make cubemaps, but is it also possible to create some sort of realtime cubemap [like with reflections that render in realtime] and apply it to a giant box? so you get a remake of the skybox info actor...

please let me know!

If I had to give a reward for the most kick-*** old school lively sky in UT3, I would give it to DM-DoomE2M8 aka Tower of Babel.

Comment

yeah, but that is not the question here, please stay ontopic.

Comment

I am going off rusty memory, but I read in some forum post (here or @ BeyondUnreal) that is might be possible, but it would be very hard to pull off. So that begs the question, why you would want to bother with the old method?

Comment

You can use a SceneCaptureCubeMapActor and a RenderToTextureCube. You may notice performance issues with these versus the new method.

Comment

Why not use the sky meshes with UE3? Or even create you're own skydome mesh/material to better siut your needs. Seems to work just fine for me.....

Comment

well, i want to recreate a UT2004 skybox thats why i was looking for a way to recreate this.
              however, i think the best way is to just make it all into static meshes and then upscale it gigantically...

Comment

i tryed to spare some time while using the original skyboxes from barricade ; phobos or morpheus but the result was never giving me satisfaction
                u re right u ll need to rescale them up but even this way the "angulous" side of the skyboxes drived me always to go back to ut3 skydomes or starspheres
                im really impressed by the result in ut99 on such small sized skyboxes....they did a super job and the result is quite realistic

... i m not very skilled and it was the easiest way for me to deal with that

Comment

yeah, thats something which keeps worrying me.
                  but hey, if it wont work, i guess ill just have to switch :P
                  dont wanna make some crappy map :P

Comment

Working...
                  X