Align Textures on a Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Align Textures on a Cylinder

I just made a hollow cylinder, but i cant seem to get the textures aligned properly...
    does anyone know a good and easy way to align the textures on the sides of a [hollow] cylinder [inside and outside]?

please let me know!

try to select the inside or outside faces and align them planar... I hope that would work. I don't know any other way exept for aligning each face separatly

Comment

yeah, i tried that, but then the first and last texture dont align
      my cylinder has got an outteradius of 296 and a innerradius of 272, could it be possible to calculate how big each face is and then scale the texture to fit that?
      [im not very good at maths, so please help XD ]

Comment

It is possible, but you are better off using a modeling program.
        to do it, scale the inner walls and outer walls separately.
        use a right triangle calculator (tons of these on the internet) to calculate the width of each face (height is your cylinder height)
        for an example, if you have a cylinder which has a radius of 296 and 32 sides:
        Hypotenuse of the triangle is 296.
        Right triangle angle is 360° divided by 32 sides again divided by half (360°/32/2=5.625°.)
        Then each cylinder side is this number multiplied by half 58.0262.
        So if your cylinder is 32 faces then your outer sides are = 58.0262 units each.
        Divide this width by the texture width.
        For an example using the default material which has a texture sized 128x128, divide 58.0262 by 128
        57.74674/128=0.4533296875
        This result would be the U value in the surface properties to fit the 128 texture per outer face. This works to correctly fit the texture to the size of each face. So you could effectively use a tiled texture tiled per face or or smaller using this method. Planar alignment does some funny things to the surfaces for a cylinder, so to effective align texture across multiple faces you may have to edit the surface properties manually via text editor if the Pan feature cannot make small enough increments.

Comment

You should be able to align them properly with either "planar wall" or "planar floor". I would do the outer part separate from the inner part separate from each face. Depending how your cylinder positioned, you may get different results.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
            It is possible, but you are better off using a modeling program.
            to do it, scale the inner walls and outer walls separately.
            use a right triangle calculator (tons of these on the internet) to calculate the width of each face (height is your cylinder height)
            for an example, if you have a cylinder which has a radius of 296 and 32 sides:
            Hypotenuse of the triangle is 296.
            Right triangle angle is 360° divided by 32 sides again divided by half (360°/32/2=5.625°.)
            Then each cylinder side is this number multiplied by half 58.0262.
            So if your cylinder is 32 faces then your outer sides are = 58.0262 units each.
            Divide this width by the texture width.
            For an example using the default material which has a texture sized 128x128, divide 58.0262 by 128
            57.74674/128=0.4533296875
            This result would be the U value in the surface properties to fit the 128 texture per outer face. This works to correctly fit the texture to the size of each face. So you could effectively use a tiled texture tiled per face or or smaller using this method. Planar alignment does some funny things to the surfaces for a cylinder, so to effective align texture across multiple faces you may have to edit the surface properties manually via text editor if the Pan feature cannot make small enough increments.
            This sounds great!
            I just cant seem to figure out where you got the 58.0262 from...
            Here is the required data:
            texture size: 1024x256
            radius: 272
            sides: 16
            right triangle angle: 360/16/2=11.25
            If i can get this to work, this would be awesome

EDIT:
            i found this polygon calculator: http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calpolyg.htm
            and it gave me a length of 106 units for a face, this sounds right, right? :P

EDIT2:
            WOW!
            i got all the textures lined up, and now the first and last texture are only just a very very very little bit apart :P

EDIT3:
            i forgot i had to scale the material to 0,143 :/
            I guess it will be manual alignment after all...

EDIT4:
            i got it now: i fixed it by changing the scale on the last face, and because the difference was so small, you dont really notice

Comment

Working...
            X