Ambient sound advanced question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ambient sound advanced question

I would put on a map an old radio who cast an old music to increase the atmosphere on it.
    I have the old radio mesh, put an ambientsound and set the max radius of the volume so that you can always listen it (the all map is include on the max radius), but with an attenuation of the volume according to where you are from the audio source.

Ok, it's works like a charme BUT, I notice when I'am at a certain distance of the ambientsound (about 400 uu) AND an announcement was played (like "double kill", "dominating"...), the ambient sound restart each time it's occur. That's weird because in DM game, my ambient and cool music become an boring stuff because it always restart and you never listen the music at it's end.

Any idea how to fix that? Is it a limitation of the engine or something?

PS : Don't tell me "why you don't put it on the UTmap music", it's not the main music, it's just to give more atmosphere on the map

Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
    Ok, it's works like a charme BUT, I notice when I'am at a certain distance of the ambientsound (about 400 uu)
    This is an odd problem that I don't think I have noticed in a map. What's the min/max settings for the "Min" and "Max" distance for the attenuation levels? What type of ambient sound are you using?

PS : Don't tell me "why you don't put it on the UTmap music", it's not the main music, it's just to give more atmosphere on the map
    If the music fits with the theme of the map, I think it's a good idea, but I wonder why it should cover the entire map. With out seeing the map, I think that might not be a good idea, otherwise, it should be part of the main music.

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
      What's the min/max settings for the "Min" and "Max" distance for the attenuation levels?
      As far I know,
      the min radius is the min distance from the sound actor where the sound is played with the volume level at it's max. (for ex. if you set a min radius to 400uu, if you go between 0 to 400uu from the sound actor, you will listen the sound without attenuation)
      The max radius is the distance where you obtain your max attenuation (in dB). This value has no limit in theory. The engine will calculate the attenuation progression according to the distance min and max.

I have set the max radius so it cover all the map because i wouldn't the music can be stopped if you go out of this radius, because the max radius is also the radius max before the engine decide to stop playing the ambient sound.
      But it's not mean that you can still ear the sound at the limit of the max radius, because of the attenuation (in my case, -60dB).
      when you are far from the min radius, and close to the max radius, the music is practically unlistenable.

Comment

Hmm, it might be one of those things where I would like to see the map (if you don't get it fixed). But there is also a "Min/Max" setting in the both the "MinRadius" and "MaxRadius". So I am wondering if the values are messed up?

Comment

Hmm, it might be one of those things where I would like to see the map (if you don't get it fixed). But there is also a "Min/Max" setting in the both the "MinRadius" and "MaxRadius". So I am wondering if the values are messed up?
          It was for DM-WoodRun, so...
          But maybe you point at me something, I always set this both values (min/max) to the same value because I cannot figure what is that suppose to be...
          I will give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
            It was for DM-WoodRun, so...
            But maybe you point at me something, I always set this both values (min/max) to the same value because I cannot figure what is that suppose to be...
            I will give it a try.
            Then you should be fine. If you set the Min to say 100 and the max to 200 (for the MinRadius), then I believe the game will choose a value between those 2 numbers to set the volume at it's loudest. I don't know if it does this once per game or every time the player is close enough to hear it.

I though you may have set a higher number for the min setting, which may have caused the problem.

Also, for the MinRadius, you will hear the sound at it's max volume from the ambient actor up to that number. Then, the farther you go away from it, the quieter it should get.

Comment

I though you may have set a higher number for the min setting, which may have caused the problem.
              no, I always put the same value (because by default, these 2 settings get the same value when you put an ambientsound actor on the map)
              for example :
              MinRadius->distribution->Max=400 Min=400
              MaxRadius->distribution->Max=1500 Min=1500

And I have test with 3 differents actors, ambientsound, ambientsoundSimple, ambientsoundNonLoop, with same results...
              It's looks like it works as I would (continuous playing) until a announcement are played by the engine, then, the ambient sound is automatically replay at its start. it's weird...

Comment

Working...
              X