Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a multiple object mover?

Hi all.

I usually frequent the GOW area, but I've had no joy at getting this particular question answered. I'm pretty sure it works the same for both games though - seeing as they're pretty much the same editor.

I'm creating an SP map and I basically have a lift which has a base, an object on top, some light static meshes and some spotlight FX.

When the player presses an interactive button in the level, the lift and it's ten odd components all come down in perfect unison to it's secondary position. This is done using a standard matinee instruction box.

But this particular lift has several linear movements to it; so the first trigger moevs it down, then the second trigger moves it along, the third some more etc etc.

My problem is that I don't want to move each individual component manually along each movement (there are about eight movements) with their own individual matinee instruction. So how do I move it to position 2, then position 3, then 4 etc - keeping the movement of each of the 10 objects in unison?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Can you not just create the matinee's for one object, then add all the other objects as variables to the matinee in Kismet?

Comment

If you're using a relative to initial ambershee's thing will probably work.

The other thing you can do is, animate one object, and (hard?) attach the other actors to it in their property windows. If you've got UT3, look at DM-HEATRAY; this is what they do for the ship: The right engine pod is attached to the left engine pod, the left engine pod has an in-place rotation matinee going but is also attached to the ship body which is moving through the level. Oh, and engine-flame emitters are attached to all of these .

Comment

Also, you cannot attach static objects (static meshes, static light, etc) to dynamic objects.

Instead of static meshes, use interpactors (when you right click to place it in the level, select the interpactor option) and instead of static lights, use dynamic lights (open generic browser, click on actor classes tab, then look under 'light')

Comment

For meshes only, if you've got them in place as statics, you can use a right click option on them: "convert to / mover", which will make them into interpactors. Lights and stuff, you're stuck remaking ^_^.

Comment

Sorry - I need to be a bit more detailed than I have been.

I've created a matinee sequence for the main interpactor. I have two simple keys - a start and an end. It moves fine between these points.
            I added a second movement track for my second interpactor. Again - the same two keys and again, it moves fine between the two points.

It's worth noting that I have set the keys to 'liner' interp mode in order to keep all the different objects moving at the same pace - works a treat.

I then added a 3rd and 4th movement track to the same matinee sequence. Track 3 is a set of four interpactors, whilst track 4 are four moveable spotlights.

All of these objects move fine in the first movement - perfect alignment.

Now I come to my second movement.

I copied and pasted the matinee and am triggering it from the different trigger point.
            I open the matinee sequence and of course, I want all of the objects in the sequence to begin at the location they were at when they reach 'key 1' of the older sequence.

I can't achieve this for any of the objects other than one of the single interpactors.

If I try to delete the key 0's, I get an error message saying 'Cannot delete first key of a relative to initial track'.

Either I need a way of deleting these first keys, or I need to set it up in a completely different way.

Ambershee - I believe I'm doing it as you've suggested.

Star Weaver - I'm going to give that a shot - not sure how I 'hard attach' interpactors together yet.

Superking17 - I am using Interpactors for the movers and moveable spotlights for the lights - apologies for the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderbird View Post
              I open the matinee sequence and of course, I want all of the objects in the sequence to begin at the location they were at when they reach 'key 1' of the older sequence.
              If I understand you correctly, you want the same objects to start at key frame 1 for this second Matinee? If so, couldn't that cause problems (either with the Kismet/Matinee or a visual one) because if the second Matinee is activated when the objects are at key frame 0 of the first Matinee, they might suddenly jump to Key frame 1, then continue on with second Matinee.

Does that sound right? While I am no expert, it seems like you should only have 1 Matinee effect an actor/s. You might also have to key frame the second Matinee by hand, instead of relying on the information that's already in there.

Star Weaver - I'm going to give that a shot - not sure how I 'hard attach' interpactors together yet.
              When you select the actor that's attaching to another one, you need to lock the properties window (on the very top left of the window). Expand the Attachment and the first field is where you select the interpactor to attach to. Once that's done, you select the "hard attach". I usually do this for for most things being attached as it should keep it's position while the base interpactor is moving.

Comment

Hi Odedge.

Regarding the copy/Paste of matinee sequences. I have done this previously on single item objects and found no problems at all. I delete the key 0's and move the key 1's to time zero, effectively making key 1 = key 0.
                The fact that the triggers can only be used in a linear way means that the object for the second and consecutive matinee sequences are always in the correct place before those sequences are fired. This worked for single object movers, but seems to have problems only because I can't delete the key 0's because they are 'relatives' of the initial track.

I found this was easier than moving interp's by hand as this was time consuming when making sure it was in exactly the right location as where the pervious matinee sequence ended.

Thanks for the tutorial on attaching interp's - I'll be trying htat in my lunch break.

Comment

Hourence's excellent Unreal Engine 3 Mover Tutorial will tell you everything you need to know:
                  http://hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3mover.htm
                  Go right to the bottom - Attaching something to a mover

Comment

Working...
                  X