BSP material question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSP material question

Hey guys got a little bit more work done on my map this weekend, though ive hit a dead end.

Ive decided to go with some metal looking panels for the insides of the sniper tower. Now i need to know what i size i should use for the material once its placed on the wall. On the right is x4, and on the left wall is x2. Which one do you guys think looks better?

(Click to enlarge)

Also, do the colours of the panels look alright?

TBH, that material seems to look out of place at any scale. Try adding some detail to it, like dents and scratches.

Comment

Yes im going to, ive posted another thread on a gfx forum asking how to create some realistic looking grunge effects. But i just wanted to see what scale you guys thought i should use.

Comment

TBH this texture looks flat, it is hard to make good looking texture, so if you do not have very good photoshop skills better stay with epic made textures.

I am not sure for what style you going in that map. but for usual rusty/military style this texture does not work. It is visible you just created bunch of boxes. It needs more vision to create coherent look of level than just "lets make texture". Look for some reference material and pictures on internet this usually help a lot with getting idea what to do.

Or use program like MapZone to create procedural textures, then refine them in photoshop.

Comment

to follow along with the theme of the responses, you need to add more detail, rather then solid colors. Even doing something as simple as adding a dirt material from UE to the diffuse, and adding a good normal map. You should also add scratches and other blemeshes to the surface, and include those in the normal and spec maps.

Comment

Yeah i was going to do that, thats the second time ive said that. Im already adding dirt and grunge to it, i just need to know which of the two scales in the first picture i should use.

Comment

I don't know about that. Strictly performance wise, the larger is better. I don't know how it looks in your level, though.

Comment

Well the rivets sorta look outa scale on x4, which is why i liked the x2 scale.

Comment

If you have Photoshop, there is a good normalmap plugin which would improve the look.
                  I would say the X4 because it wont tile as much. Not a good wall texture in my opinion my friend, use it sparingly. If you had a cut out in a wall or similar that would be cool.

Comment

Yeah ive used the normalmap plugin to get the effect that some of the plates are higher/lower than others. What i mean is i know how to do bump maps, and have applied them to this material.

Comment

OK after some time just staring at the material, i too agree it just does not "fit" in with the rest of the level.

So im here to ask you guys, what colours should i use so that it fits in with the platform there? Should i use this same material for the roof? How can i make it look a bit more futuristic?

Comment

btw, i like the scale of the one on the left *insert all the other comments criticism here* :P

Comment

Working...
                        X