Skylight Actor Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skylight Actor Question...

If your building an outdoor level and the ground plane is a static mesh exported from Maya do you have to use "force dynamic light" toggle within a skylight actors properties to allow the mesh to be lit?

I've been using the skylight actor and the only way it lights my ground plane mesh is with dynamic light enabled...which seems like a very cost intensive way to go since the ground plane will not be moving... Why won't static work?

I apologise in advance if this is a dumb question hehe.

Make sure the skylight is broadcasting light on a channel that your mesh is enabled on (check the properties of both)... that might be it... ?

Comment

I'm having some difficulties with the term "ground plane" there. Why a static mesh and not terrain or a BSP surface? Also remember to rebuild lighting (or everything) to see the actual effect of a light.

Comment

If you're using a sky dome, be sure to set the dome not to cast shadows.

Comment

you shouldn't have to cast a dynamic light, like musilowski said you probably have a skybox set to cas shadows, or your ground plane is using vertex lighting and it is having its vertexes somehow in the shadow of objects... if you didn't find a solution, you may want to post your setup here in a pic so people can spot out exactly what you're trying to do here.

Comment

Thank you so much guys for the help! I apologize as this thread had been untouched for a while, and I assumed I wouldn't get an answer. We ended up using up just creating the terrain in Unreal instead of messing with the mesh.

Thank you again for the help.

Comment

The skylight doesn't bake shadows correct? it's just more of an ambient light?

Comment

That's correct. If you want shadows, use a number of directional lights instead. Any Epic outdoor map should be a good example for this.

Comment

Ok, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X