Play in Editor Periodic Stutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Play in Editor Periodic Stutter

When I play the game normally I can have full settings with smooth and high framerates, but when I play in the editor I have this regular repetitive stutter. Every 25 seconds the game hiccups for a very short moment of time and then everything turn back to normal. I lose control of the character and can't time a double jump, etc.

This is an annoyance, but I can live with that if I have to. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way to completely remove the stuttering? Does INI tweaks apply to the play-in-editor mode?

I have a 2.4GHz Core 2 Quad, 2GB RAM and a GF9800+ with Win XP x86.

I experience it.
    3GHz Quad, 4GB RAM, GTX275.

It seems to be down to the editor loading animations in or effects/textures

Comment

My computer is S**T. And by turning my ingame graphics settings way down i can play.

I noticed the Play-in-Editor window goes back to the default high level graphics though. That is why my editor play window lags/stutters. Dont know if this helped, thought id post it up for anyone else experiencing editor test play lag with a bad rig.

Comment

I get this too. It can get annoying when you're trying to test jumps (whee, quad damage on the ceiling!).

AMD 2.5ish Quad, 2gb system, 1gb HD4850.

Play with most stuff high, though medium textures (trying to reduce loading time) and low shadows (don't care much, they're still buffered anyway).

My now-dead 3870 had stuttering problems in game when I ran too many performance monitors, it would hitch once a second. I guess the editor's doing something in the background ever 25? ... Is the PIE a seperate process? I wonder if you could give it a higher prio or do some processor affinity mojo on it that would help.

Comment

I think it's the editor doing stupid stuff, like changing what package is selected in the generic browser. If I have my map's package selected, by the time I get done playing, a different package is selected.

Comment

Hum. I usually have that open at all times*. I wonder if closing it or anything like that could have an impact. Has anyone tried minimizing the editor behind the PIE or anything like that either?

*(I only use a two viewport display, 3d + ortho, and scrunch the window over a third so there's room for the browser, kismet, matinee, properties, brushinator dialogs, surface properties, or whatever without obsucring the main windows too much. Toggling things like the browser or kismet between column and fullscreen seems to suffice for any circumstance. I tend to use TXmouse so I don't have to focus the helper windows explicitly, too.)

Comment

Also possible it's down to the editor log.

Comment

Happens all the time on my i7 machines. No problem.

Comment

happens to me as well.

Comment

yes, I've noticed it too. It must be intentional, though. If you type slomo 999 so it goes super fast then it occurs much more often, so it's based on the engines internal clock, so to speak.

Comment

The in-game-editor stutter is REALLY annoying. It is not an actual pause in which everything stops; time based things will still occur on schedule but other things such as collision, physics and ingame action will be ignored completely. Objects will pass thru each other as if they were never there!

Has anyone found out the reason or remedy for the play in editor stutter / pausing yet? It seems to be a universal issue regardless of machine capability. Considering anyone who can't get their maps to cook has to play their mods and maps in the editor - it seems like an issue that should be solved, or at least vigorously looked into.

Comment

It seems to be related to camera view changes (spawning, vehicle/hoverboard transition, etc.), but that's all I found out so far.

Comment

The reason it does this is because the level is not cooked and optimized. The in game "test" is running more instructions for debugging and what have you.

Comment

The stutter is still there even when I cook the map before I play it in the editor. I also notice that the aim is slowed down a lot right after the stutter and remain so about a second.

One solution would be playing the map in the game instead if you want to play for more than 20 seconds.

Comment

I have this **** pause to.

I think that this "pause" at every ±30 secs is there by design because everyone seem to have it.

So that means it's not hardware related & not even software since you have a plethora of hardware & various OS like XP / Vista / 7.

Comment

Working...
                              X