Using own footstep sounds in UT3 Ed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using own footstep sounds in UT3 Ed?

Hello! I am exploring Unreal engine and looking at creating a very short machinima as my own project, and as a demo reel clip for my sound design (sfx, foley, music, voice over recording).

I've gotten ambient, sfx & music tracks into the unreal engine & been able to trigger them, but it seems its harder to replace the footsteps as I imagined, due to the protection the unreal engine has of its cooked packages, and the fact all the floor materials are pre-assigned to sounds within those UT3 cooked packages. I can assign footstep sounds from "other surfaces" - but using my own footstep soundcues in place (not as well) as the default footsteps, I am having difficulty with.

Just wondering if anybody can help me out. I would like to replace the footstep sounds in gameplay if possible, just to demonstrate a map with 100% original sounds & music (for myself and others).

Is it possible?

Cheers!

Jay

Duplicate the materials (you can copy and paste them by selecting boxes in the material editor, then ctrl+c, ctrl+v them into a new material), then change the footstep sound, which I believe is defined by the physical material?

Comment

I'm pretty sure the actual sounds used for footsteps are defined in script. The physical materials only hold an identifier of the type of material which is translated into a sound in script. If so, you are looking at having to create a new class with your own footstep sounds and most likely a new pawn class to use that class. Or perhaps a mutator would suffice. haven't ever looked into too much.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
        I'm pretty sure the actual sounds used for footsteps are defined in script. The physical materials only hold an identifier of the type of material which is translated into a sound in script. If so, you are looking at having to create a new class with your own footstep sounds and most likely a new pawn class to use that class. Or perhaps a mutator would suffice. haven't ever looked into too much.
        Yeah I tried duplicating & creating a physical material..I have only been able to assign footsteps based on existing other materials from UT3, rather than using my own sounds all together.

It's tricky, I am not sure what you mean exactly about class's (havn't delved into it that much). I was hoping this would be easy! I have the other sounds in damnit, but without replacing the footsteps there isn't as much of a point of doing this for me any more =/

Comment

Working...
        X