Issues making a glow turn on and off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues making a glow turn on and off

Ok so what I am trying to do is use a materialinstance to make a glow happen on a light. Ive setup a scale parameter that controls the glow intensity. It goes from 0 to 30. However when I try to trigger it off nothing happens. Ive setup parameter names and everything.

ummm i havent tried doing exactly what your doing but my guess would be that you would have to add the light you actually wish for it to affect into that kismet sequence. Im only so good with kismet and havent used that scalar parameter though. I would try selecting the light u wish to affect in the editor and then right click in kismet and "add new obj variable light #" or whatever the option is (its pretty close to that) These would then connect to the out of your scalar parameter at a guess. As i said im unfamiliar with the scalar parameter part.

Comment

no that is not it, an actual light is not needed to pull off this effect. All that I am trying to do is make it ramp up a glow effect over time.

Now that I think about it... I may have to do this though matinee.

Comment

Hm, matinee might be a good bet; ISTR the tutorial I saw about this kind of thing (linked at odedge maybe? it was a while ago) involved a matinee.

It doesn't look like these commands give you an option to ramp up value over time, anyway, right?

Comment

no they don't I see matinee as options for it. However I can seem to get it working.

Comment

Did you find this tutorial yet? http://book.hourences.com/tutorialsu...dmaterials.htm

I think that's the one I saw before. He's using Set TextureParam actions instead of ScalarParam ones, IHNI if that matters. I haven't read it in depth lately and haven't gotten to a point where I'd attempt to use such a thing yet. :\

Comment

Yeah went though that one, just can not get that to work. When looking at some of the maps with UT3 I noticed Material Instance Actors. However I can't find to much info on them and how they work. Epics UDN is all but useless all it really tells you is what they do.

Comment

Yeah, all I know is I looked at WAR-Downtown once and there were 16,000 MI actors on it. I guess it's something where you can change a specific instance of a texture in the world instead of changing the texture for all its users at once, so IHNI how you're supposed to do the latter .

Is hourances still around on here? That'd be useful about now.

Comment

I'd suggest more screenshots and detailed descriptions of your setup. Perhaps of the material, the material instance, and of the properties of the Kismet node that isn't working as it seems you posted the properties of the one that is which is really of no use. More info is better than less info.

Comment

I would use a matinee.

Just make sure the Mat_INST is what is applied to your object/actor, and that the ParamName of your material_INST_actor in matinee is the same as the scalarParam in the Parent Mat.

Than its just two keys to set your curve, maybe one more if you want to turn it off

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                    X