# of units for 32 player map size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

# of units for 32 player map size?

Im going for around 24 -32. I know the character is 96. Not sure about the map size Im aiming for. Thx in advance.

Depends entirely what you're trying to achieve. For starters, what gametype is the map for?

Comment

dm/tdm- 2000
      ctf-2500
      vctf- 5000
      war- 5000-7000

i just completely made those numbers up but they could help who knows

Comment

dm and ctf. ill try those numbers. im using maya at first and then import later.

Comment

Those numbers are WAAAAY too small for a 32 player map. 2048 UU (Unreal units) would be like playing 32 player Biohazard, which would be quite painful. I've done it before, it's not pretty.

DM-Sanctuary is one of the larger stock maps and is a fairly reasonable size for 32 players. It's not overcrowded but you don't have to go too far to find anyone. The playable area in Sanctuary is roughly 6144 * 6144. If you were doing CTF you would probably want to elongate the level. For CTF something like 3072 * 7168 is probably ok. You could make it smaller for CTF if you have good Z axis travel and plenty of routes. But honestly, no one plays 16v16 CTF, even if there were that many active CTF players.

Mapping tip for the future: Work in powers of 2 whenever possible. 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 and any combination of the above. That will keep things on grid in UE, because that's the system it uses.

Comment

um yerh i reckon ya gunna need about 16000x16000 at least for that sort of player count. Thats roughly the size of my map DM\DOM beesting to give you some idea. This may still be too small for 32 players im not sure as im not much into WAR. 2048uu is tiny, about the only thing you'll get in that size is an arena map. I would be amazed if even biohazard was that small

Comment

Optimal map player count depends entirely on the map layout and gametype. For example, JB-Suspense is still fun with 32 players because killed players are locked up, while the very same map layout in VCTF-Suspense is just a pointless spamfest because killed players respawn and can continue to flood the map with projectiles.

IMHO there are no stock CTF or DM maps that work good enough with 32 players. Some larger WAR and VCTF maps may work.

Comment

ya did u read the end of my post that i just made those numbers up?

Comment

No, I did. I just wonder why you would answer a newbies question if you have no clue yourself. He said he would try those numbers. Wouldn't you feel bad if someone went and made a complicated project in Maya based on numbers you pulled out of a donkey's rear end?

Comment

I agree. Don't post unless you have something to say.

As for the numbers... depends entirely on what you want. A spammy claustrophobic Deathmatch map would obviously have different requirements than a vast open Warfare map.

Layout also plays a significant part. The actual size of the map is rarely what truly matters. Rather, the time it takes to get from one place to another is what affects gameplay most. Especially for CTF, where players often have a very traditional outlook on the required length of flagruns.

I wouldn't know what the numbers are either. They're not really that important. Just hack out some ultra-simple geometry and give it a try. Then you'll be able to decide for yourself whether it needs to be bigger or smaller. Whatever feels good to you is the right number.

If you really want a quantifiable opinion from others, try asking more specific questions such as "what is the recommended travel time between two nodes/flags/powerups?".

Comment

Level design is not really about the numbers - it's like architecture in unlimited space with unlimited funds. It's more about the style, scale, distance and proportion.

If you use a modeling application, then as the first step you should model the simplest version of your map - called a prototype and check it out. With a little effort the prototype allows you to quickly determine correct scales and sizes.

It takes about an hour to create map prototype like these:

and helps to save many, many hours on fixing scale, proportion and distance issues at the end where each mall change requires lots of other changes.

Comment

Working...
                      X