Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A publishing problem

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    A publishing problem

    Hi everybody, I know this is probably a stupid mistake on my part but the material on the static mesh in the sky of my level disappeared after being published.

    Here's a picture of the static mesh in the editor.


    Here's a picture of the static mesh in after publishing and in game.


    It probably has something to do with how massively scaled the mesh is, but i'm not sure so if anyone can help me out with this it'd be greatly appreciated.

    #2
    OK I tried reducing the size of the model and the texture is still not showing up. Kinda hoping that after 30+ views someone would have responded, possibly having the same problem. I'll keep trying and see if I can fix it myself but if anyone has even a suggestion then please throw it up here.

    Comment


      #3
      Is that a scaled up viper? If it is and u are using stock meshes/materials, you probably corrupted the package it came from. The scale shouldn't be a problem at all.

      Another possibility is that you have the material stored in a custom package that is not your map's package. In general, you should keep all custom assets in your map's package.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Superking17 View Post
        Another possibility is that you have the material stored in a custom package that is not your map's package. In general, you should keep all custom assets in your map's package.
        My thought as well. If you created a "custom" material and added to a .upk file (which is usually not the best iway), if you don't save that file, it will disappear. If you did save it, I don't know exactly how the file gets "published".

        For levels, all custom content should be inside your map file. With that, you need to place that asset into your map before you build or save it. If not, the editor will flush it out as it thinks you don't need it anymore.

        Comment


          #5
          Thanks for the responses guys, it is a scaled up viper/necris manta (I thought it made a pretty convincing spaceship when scaled up) but I don't think the material is corrupted because it still shows up just fine in the editor unless you mean the cooked material is what's corrupted. I looked in the maps custom materials and there is an instance of the viper's skin in there, should I replace the instance with a copy of the actual material do you suppose? I tried messing with the scale parameters on the instance and that didn't help so replacing it is just one other possibility, just wanting to get someone's opinion first.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by D3MON31987 View Post
            ..but I don't think the material is corrupted because it still shows up just fine in the editor unless you mean the cooked material is what's corrupted. I looked in the maps custom materials and there is an instance of the viper's skin in there, should I replace the instance with a copy of the actual material do you suppose?
            1. If you are using the stock mesh and material, obviously there is no need to have a duplicate version in your map file.

            2. If you duplicated the stock one into your map file and tweaked it, that's fine. If the material looks fine in in the generic browser, it should look fine on the mesh (assuming you added it as an override material to the mesh).

            3. If you duplicated the stock material to a .upk file, maybe that's not getting cooked/published correctly (and I don't know exactly what needs to be done as I have never used them.

            4. If you still can't figure it out, feel free to send me the map (odedge at odedge dot com) via email or if it's too big, maybe upload it to a hosting site?

            Comment


              #7
              Ok after testing it out a little more I found that regardless of the size the texture doesn't show up after it's cooked. I should have mentioned this earlier and could kick myself for not doing so but this is the skeletal mesh, it's not a static mesh so the solution probably has something to do with that. I've found another thread that gives a possible solution but if anyone who see's this one knows what's wrong please let me know.

              Comment


                #8
                Ok I ended up fixing the problem though i'm not quite sure now. It turns out that the material I was using was a fallback material and based on the other thread I was looking at there's a problem with using those. What I ended up doing was using the material for a blue team's vehicle and now it works just fine.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by D3MON31987 View Post
                  Ok I ended up fixing the problem though i'm not quite sure now. It turns out that the material I was using was a fallback material and based on the other thread I was looking at there's a problem with using those. What I ended up doing was using the material for a blue team's vehicle and now it works just fine.
                  Ack! Well, If I knew you were using a fall back material, I could have solved it in a second (as this came up beta testing another person's map). For what it's worth, if you really like that material, you can duplicate it and there is a field that marks it as a "fall back" material. If you uncheck this, you can use it with no problems.

                  Anyways, glad to hear you solved the problem and "there was much rejoicing".

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X