Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to create terrains with mixed textures...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to create terrains with mixed textures...

...based on height or even location on the map as we choose?

What is the best way to go about creating this?

For example lets say I have a map with mountains, a valley, grassy fields, dirt barren land and a rough rocky cliff side.

If by terrain, you mean using the terrain actor with in in editor? If so, you paint your textures (actually materials) onto the terrain and you can mix them. There is a limit to the number of texture samples a terrain actor can use and I believe you can't use specular channels in your materials. There is no way (that I know of) to have the terrain auto texture itself based on a height setting.

If you are talking about a mesh (as your other thread suggests), you can vertex color your mesh. I believe the maximum textures you can use per material slot is 3. But then again, your mesh could have multiple material slots.

Keep in mind I just learned how to vertex color a mesh and make it work in the game.

Comment

Procedural terrain materials are possible in UE3. Just add a few terrain materials to a terrain layer setup and tweak their settings in the terrain layer setup's properties.

You can add noise, determine how slopes affect the material and at which heights the material appears.

For instance setting the MaxSlope property to 0.5 disallows the material being painted on slopes steeper than 45 degrees (1.0 is 90 degrees).

These settings are handy for large and monotonous heightfields which would be a pain to paint all by yourself. But still the smaller details should be painted and detailed by hand to prevent accidents and oddities.

Comment

make sure not to include normal mapping in your materials when you paint the terrain. It makes older video cards go crazy

Comment

Originally posted by FragTastic View Post
          make sure not to include normal mapping in your materials when you paint the terrain. It makes older video cards go crazy
          You can have normal maps in the terrain materials. Just make sure that you have a fallback material for the older cards.

Comment

Working...
          X