Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faking spotlights with decals

Hellloooo all,

Question for everyone here. Is there a way to make a decal additive? I've been using a lot of decals for shadows and dirt with the blend_modulate + mlm_unlit settings.

Now I'd like to do the opposite thing and create an actual additive decal, to fake a spotlight. No matter what I do I can't seem to get it to work. Is this even doable?

I know I can do the same with a Lightfunction but the performance hit is just way too heavy.

DZ

I don't see any reason setting the blend type to BLEND_Modulate and using a texture resembling a spotlight wouldn't have that effect. It did when I just tested it. Just keep in mind, it's not going to actually provide any illumination, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
      I don't see any reason setting the blend type to BLEND_Modulate and using a texture resembling a spotlight wouldn't have that effect. It did when I just tested it. Just keep in mind, it's not going to actually provide any illumination, though.
      Yeah, it doesn't need to provide light -- it's just for effect.

What lighting mode are you using? I tried all of them with BLEND_Modulate and I either get nothing or a fully black decal. I must be doing something very wrong here...

edit: Oh yeah, it's a DXT1 texture of a white spotlight (no alpha) with the RGB attached to Diffuse.

Comment

Working...
      X