Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get non flora objects to bob in the wind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you get non flora objects to bob in the wind?

There any way of accomplishing this?

Model something in maya and or 3ds max. Then rig it then animate it, then export the animation and object as a skeletal actor via the actorX plugin. If you want to use some kind of pre existing object it wont work unless it has an animation set and is a skeletal actor, normal static meshes wont work.

Comment

Well, you can use any static mesh you want to bob in the wind if you use a Foliage Factory Volume in conjunction with a Wind Actor.

The Foliage Factory Volume spawns meshes over an area, with no collision. It's quite powerful for certain purposes, give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
        Well, you can use any static mesh you want to bob in the wind if you use a Foliage Factory Volume in conjunction with a Wind Actor.

The Foliage Factory Volume spawns meshes over an area, with no collision. It's quite powerful for certain purposes, give it a try.
        This is what i ended up doing... but it's very bothersome. The assets i wanted bobbing in the wind were fires that go over lit barrels. I need to insert a volume for the flora to cling to, get the fires above the ground, remove the volume, then add the barrels underneath it. If i so much as touch the foliage volume it replaces them and i can't undo. I'm also very much at the mercy of the random flora placement.

I ended up shortening the fires and just doing a matinee with relative offset. Combined with particles it actually came out pretty good.

I have a good bit of experience rigging and animating, but i've heard lots of horror stories about importing this stuff into unreal. Then again, this stuff is usualy not as bad as i hear, maybe i'll look into it . The more I think about it the more i want to put a nifty animation into UT3.

I'll be posting here more in the future since i'm back into UT3 mode
        Here's my scene for for the time being (the lighting's a little f'd on the left, this scene is very much in progress):

Comment

You should have said it was fire you wanted to animate. It's a completely different deal.

Comment

Yea...wind effects are more for plants. You could make quite a few really nice looking kinds of fires with the particle engine if you play around with it for a little bit, and have them seem to be blowing in the wind. For static mesh fires they'd need to have a skeletal system I think, which would be awkward on a Static Mesh fire.

Comment

Working...
            X