Incoming noob question - outdoor maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incoming noob question - outdoor maps

I have a question regarding outdoor maps. I am creating a CTF map that takes place on a very small city block with two buildings as bases; I know, it's bad but I'm still just trying to learn how to use UnrealEd efficiently at this point.

Anyways, I started with a subtractive map and subtracted out the outdoor space and then added the buildings and so fourth.

My question is what should I do about the outdoor walls? How do I make it look like a part of a city block correctly?

Here is what I currently have:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

My last map was also a city block but it was easier to solve this problem due to having 4 buildings and I used a fencing material for the outside walls with a brick static mesh at the bottom, and I placed the very large city block SMs outside of them, as showed bellow;

However, I really can't (and don't) want to do that with my current map I'm building. I thought of using a skydome but I'm not sure how you properly use that in a map.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone and any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

What you should really do if you want an outdoor map is to create a new map, set it to additive, and start from there....For the sky you can open the package un_sky's, find a skydome and place it as a static mesh, just blown it up to 500 or so...UE3 doesn't have skyboxes in the way the old ones did so anything you want in the backgrounds of your levels you just place down.

Subtractive is only good for indoor areas, and even then it's just covering the whole map with one big additive brush. Geometry and meshes are way easier to do in additive. You've got the right idea in that 3rd screenshot. Just switch to additive and it'll be easier to flesh out your background. If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask

Comment

I'm not at home right now so I'm trying to visualize in my head how working with an additive map would work.

So I start with big empty nothingness and I add blocks of mass to it. So if I wanted to create a outdoor area I'd add a large brush. Do I need subtract out the middle of it (it's "guts") to create empty space and then add in the building brushes and so fourth? If I'm getting this right, I still see myself running into the same problem as I originally described. Then again I could just have this all wrong and I'm making myself sound like a complete idiot :P

Edit: OR do I not do a large cube to build everything inside of but simply add in the buildings, place a floor brush, ceiling brush if appropiate, and then throw in the large skydome to bring it all together? The way I'm imagining it in my head though by doing it this way the player would technically run off the designed map unless I place static meshes (fences, brick walls, etc) to block him. Even then, if the player is on top of one of the buildings what would he see out in the distance? The bottom of the skydome or do I need to place those big city block SMs?

Are there any good tutorial videos out there on creating an outdoor map? The videos that were included with UT3 don't touch on creating outdoor maps, just indoor maps if I remember correctly or I'm missing a few videos!

Comment

Originally posted by FreakyNipples69 View Post
        Edit: OR do I not do a large cube to build everything inside of but simply add in the buildings, place a floor brush, ceiling brush if appropiate, and then throw in the large skydome to bring it all together? The way I'm imagining it in my head though by doing it this way the player would technically run off the designed map unless I place static meshes (fences, brick walls, etc) to block him. Even then, if the player is on top of one of the buildings what would he see out in the distance? The bottom of the skydome or do I need to place those big city block SMs?
        All correct. With Additive you start with empty space. You add a floor brush for the player to walk on, a skydome, your buildings, and meshes/blocking volumes to prevent the player from walking out of the map. You would also need city block meshes or something outside of the playable area so the player has something to see out in the distance instead of the edge of the world.

Comment

Forget starting with a large cube...with Additive you have a blank canvas, and what you add is what's there in real time. You mix meshes and BSP geometry to create whatever you want...it's straightforward...

To get the feel of surroundings, you just need to cut the player view off from the horizon, which isn't difficult. Check out the default maps and take a while to look around at their architecture...some of the strongest points of the Epic maps are the backdrops they're on.

Comment

I understand much clearer now how to approach outdoor maps. Thanks to everyone! Can't wait till I get time to restart my map

Comment

Working...
            X