Weapon Modeling/Rigs and scripting it in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weapon Modeling/Rigs and scripting it in

Not to sure if this belongs in the modeling or scripting area. With that said, my original outcome is to have a Maya modeled arm attached to a custom weapon seen in the HUD or First person view. I'm fairly comfortable with scripting and I don't think its a script problem.

I built a simple gun and arm rig in Maya, animated the 5 basic animations, exported the PSA and PSK files. Actually have one mesh that is an arm and gun and one for just the gun for the 3rd/pickup mesh. Set them up in UT3. They view just fine when manually placed in the editor as static actors. When I go to compile the script for the backend weapon file, I get a bunch of VH_stealthbender and VH_ERAD fails and then the compiler says Scripts successful compiled, but writes no .U file. So my first instinct is to say its the mesh UPK that its checking. Delete the skel mesh lines out and compiles just fine. Put the first person skel mesh line back in, says the same thing and actually deletes out the .U file it just wrote.

I've done quite a few google searches for a fix or common occurrence and haven't found any. Anyone got any ideas? I'm not the best in Maya, but I made sure my rig/bone followed the details in http://www.ut40k.planetunreal.gamespy.com/ for custom weapons and attached an emitter socket and all that. Even tried to re-engineer the models to all tri's. Is my rig maybe just bad? Or does your first person and third person rig have to match? Been stumped for a few days now...... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is the first time I've gone beyond just material/cascade/simple weapon adjustment/level creation. I know its doable from Bioshock..........

Thank you all for any and all help provided,

ok lets see if i can help you
    1st try and get the weapon ingame and working
    if thats ok then add the arms.
    don't forget these are two seperate parts which are joined together via code, but they both need the same anims

Comment

Ok, so I figured out what I had going wrong for me to start. I had named my package and script the same. Doh.

I also just started looking at how the engine draws the hands being used on several stock weapons and if these could just be used for custom. Does anyone know the exact way a weapon gets slaved to a character bone? In the skeletal mesh editor I notice a magenta un-named bone from the base of weapons to the 0,0,0 origin. When I setup my imported meshes from Maya, they don't build any links like this. Is the only thing you need to setup after importing the muzzle flash socket? Do most people that extend off a weapon in script, copy its bone naming as well? I'm following the draw function back to UTWeapon for clues......

I know I'm just missing something simple(hopefully) between the code and the editor. I've looked at a few different weapon tutorials, full setup, and FOV adjustments, but I can't tie it together in my head.

Comment

ok to use the first person arms you need to animate the weapon and the arms at the same time. this means the arms/spine2 bone/joint will be at ca 0,0,-10 (trial & error). now align your arms with the weapon, create your anims and then export the anims first for the weapon and then the arms, don't forget to export the weapon mesh aswell.

Comment

Ah, thank you very much, very helpful. So just to follow up, if I animate the main rig to a kneel/prone position (Like a diving roll attack), will the camera lower with the animation, or will a simple eye level script line have to be included? Just trying to grasp the level of control the animations have over the first person view.

One of the animations we're going for is a suicide attack where the player would take a knee and punch a code into his left arm gadget with his right hand, before exploding.

Comment

you'll have to try and change the camera height i think afaik the arm anims don't effect the camera

Comment

I don't know if it can help you but I have a bunch of example files with my character / first person rigs, they are for Maya, check my signature for linkage.

Comment

Oh wow, thanks Denny, I think this is exactly what I was looking for. Reading the .rtf, and looking at the UPK, well put together.

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

Working...
                  X