Animating a crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animating a crowd

I am making a scene in matinee that involves a crowd of 100 or so skeletal meshes that I want to animate.

Is there a quick way to apply the same animation to all of them? Otherwise it would be very long and tedious to have to add each one in matinee.

Set up the animation in Matinee for one of them and then connect Object variables for each one to the same group in Matinee? As long as the skeletons on each mesh are the same and can use the same animation I can't see why that shouldn't work.

Comment

That sounds like it should work, but you might be able to use a trigger volume and attach a matinee sequence to it, so that when any bot hits the volume, it will tell that bot to do the action

Comment

You could also set a few delays between the start up, copy the matinee a couple times, and then assign those to certain meshes so they all don't start at the same time, giving a more individual flow of movement. even though they are still using the same animation.

hmmm...I think I worded that ok.....

Comment

Set up the animation in Matinee for one of them and then connect Object variables for each one to the same group in Matinee? As long as the skeletons on each mesh are the same and can use the same animation I can't see why that shouldn't work.
          Is there any way to then feed this matinee sequence into a "UT Crowd Spawner" object within Kismet so that every skeletal mesh within a the crowd loops through this animation while moving towards its set destination?

Currently my custom skeletal meshes spawn and move towards their destination points as they should; however, I'm currently unable to add any custom animations. I've tried animating the skeletal meshes within matinee as well as importing my own .psa files, but have so far been unsuccessful at integrating any custom animations with the crowd system.

I've done my best to understand how kismet, matinee, animsets, & animtrees work within the UDK, but I keep coming up short and feel many times like I'm stumbling around in the dark. Any light that you guys (and gals) could shed on this issues would be much appreciated.

On a side note, I'm more of an artist/designer than a programmer so anything relating to Unreal scripting and/or programming will more than likely be over my head.

Thanks

Comment

You could just make a flock and set the skeletal mesh to the one you want but that would just clone the same person again and again and they would be running suppose you could add you own custom animation and set them as the animation sets.

I read up that someone was trying to interact with the flock but had no luck as of yet. He wanted to kill the flock as they ran past. Might be worth looking into if you dont want to make 100 matinee sequences.

This way is nice if you want to see a mass ammount of monsters running in a matinee sequence that you can use for a clip.

Comment

Working...
            X