Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynamic Lights Disappear when you move away!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynamic Lights Disappear when you move away!!!

Does anyone know why this happens? or how to prevent it? Its kinda ruining the effect im trying to achieve. I dont know the exact radius that stops you from seeing the shadows, but they just disappear instantly. I cant find any options that affect this in any way whatsoever. Ive tried everything i can find, related to light and shadow.

peace

I would also like to know the solution to this. I do not know if it is a per map variable or it may be a dynamic shadows setting built into unreal itself that needs to be adjusted. But essentially, by default, dynamic shadows are only visible if you are near the object that is casting them.

Comment

Yea...I really wanted this to work but had to accept that this probably just couldn't be done...I've seen working moving shadows in Bazzwano's version of CTF-dreary, but even he was saying you just can't get too big with it

Comment

You need use Light Functions, its not dynamic but you can simulate dynamic though the use of textures. http://www.hourences.com/book/tutori...htfunction.htm

Comment

Unfortunately engine's optimization features don't have any kind of fade-off effect - like other more 'ancient' have, so there's no walk around to appearing/disappearing effect for objects/shadows. You'd love the 'source' for that.

AFAIK dynamic shadows can be configured in the game configuration files and they cannot be set per map.

Dynamic lights/shadows aren't bad. They require more CPU power but less memory. Don't have to solve the light map problems that exists since the sector-based engines. As always you got the pros and cons. The general rules for dynamic shadows are:

- use simpler geometry - more per pixel processing based on normal maps.
          - less number of lights - there's usually a limit of light sources that can hit the surface. Sometimes like for example in the 'stalker's' engine this limit is pretty high.

Games like Doom3, Quake4, Prey, ETQW, Riddick series or Thief3 (among others) are purely based on dynamic lights and shadows so you may want to look at them.

Comment

Working...
          X