Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you make UT200x style fluidsurface?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    WOW what a cluster frack of a post this has turned into.

But I think I can sum it up why they do not use it anymore. It was great for a small area, but if you needed a huge ocean area it would bog you're computer down that's a lot of polys. It was just plain and simple a bad way to go about it.

But if you go and look at many of the large ocean levels in the older unreals they will just be a flat plane.

You might be able to custom make one but you would have to animate a plane with a ton of polys to get a nice looking water effect. It just old tech in my opinion and not worth the time or effort to do so.

Oh another reason they did away with it is the use of PhysX Water. However using that is not practical in a level at this point. Unless you want to lag everyone to a grinding halt.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just a note:

Many of the helpful people on these forums left either because they got jobs in the industry and no longer have the time, or because the forums have a number of people who constantly flame and harass others so they left.
    I'm not referring to you here, so don't take offense.

Some of these points are already mentioned:

Purchasing the game gets you the game and support for that.
    The editor is unsupported. This is clearly marked in the UT3 documentation. This has been the case since the first UnrealEd was released years ago.

Epic's "official" help as far as the editor and engine goes, is in making a portion of the Unreal Developer Network available to UT3 mod'ers.
    You can get to it here.
    Also, sometimes it takes a day or two before anyone answers a question because we are all located at different global locations, or working various times.
    There are some Epic people who visit the forums, but they don't post often.

Newer builds of UE3 include a better water system, but newer features don't usually get retro-fitted into the older already-released games for a number of reasons. Keep in mind that UT3 is already two years old.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am sure we all would like a more "official" presence on the forums, but that's not the case, especially for the modding side. The editor has never been officially supported and I can understand why.

That being the case, you just have to rely on the community members (like ffejnosliw) and their presences on the forums and tutorials they have written. In addition, Epic has a lot of the UDN available to the public, which is cool for them to do.

Also keep in mind that the game has been out for a 1.5+ years and the community isn't as big as we all would like, plus it's summer so the east coast (of the states) is probably enjoying the nicer weather!

So when it comes down to it, ask your questions, search for answers, and hopefully you will find them. In my signature is a link to a list of tutorials, maybe they can help as well.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
    Dude, there are plenty of people who know what they are talking about answering question after question on these forums. And yes, Epic probably does expect us to run the forum ourselves for the most part. As they should. The forums are here for the community to help each other. Epic doesn't need to answer every question. Just because you don't know what they are doing on a day to day basis, doesn't mean they aren't hard at work on something new.

I don't like seeing posts like these to be honest.

As far as dynamic fluid surfaces, they don't exist in UT3. They are a feature of Unreal Engine 3, but not added until after UT3 shipped. I think Gears 2 has them. Funny though that you say they didn't drain cpu because they really did, especially if they were large or many of them were used.
    Mate fair enough, maybe I was a bit too angry, but its not really my concern if you dont like seeing this kind of dis-heartened post, because im feeling ignored, your not supposed to like this kind of post, I dont, but I said what needed to be said. Epic OBVIOUSLY cant answer all questions, but I haven't seen any. Also, didn't you notice the part at the bottom (I HEARD THEY WERE RELEASING UT4), so I already get the impression they're working on something. The fluidsurface actors didn't slow down my maps, I had a large lake in an old experiment map for 2004, and it ran smooth.

Also I never once stated people dont know what they're talking about. The only time I even mentioned other users when I said RESPECT TO THE FORUM MEMBERS, (respect= as in I appreciate what they're doing) surely you read that right? Because the forum members like you and me (And the names I gave) are the only people who have given me any help at all. I know your obviously quite angry at my bitter reaction, but why twist my words? All I want is some help for things that most non-epic people cant seem to answer, and who better to ask than the ones who made the game?

Im sure your a pretty decent guy, and I respect everyone that doesn't show disrespect to me first, but just try to look at this from my point of view. I've got hardly any money as it is (Relying on a free-lance job like DJing is not enough until you become renowned). I set that money aside (which is a lot for me at this stage when Im struggling to find work) because I wanted to learn the engine, and get feedback and help from the epic community (which is happening), but also some official help too (which isn't).

To be honest, I dont understand why your the one getting your feathers rustled, you should be trying to help others like the other users. I wouldnt just comment to bash someone. Dont you realise that when you spend a lot of money, and get less than that amount of moneys worth in the end user experience, it just tends to turn people bitter.

Maybe you've never had that kind of experience, or money isn't as much a problem for you because either your employed or you dont come from a poor family like I do.

Peace bro, hold whatever opinion about me you want, I still feel the same.

Edit: And again, just incase somebody else reads my post wrong, I HAVE RESPECT FOR THE COMMUNITY, AND EPIC, Im just dissapointed that theres no OFFICIAL help out there. I dont want any arguments or pointless one-up comments, I just want help because help is hard to come across.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Dude, there are plenty of people who know what they are talking about answering question after question on these forums. And yes, Epic probably does expect us to run the forum ourselves for the most part. As they should. The forums are here for the community to help each other. Epic doesn't need to answer every question. Just because you don't know what they are doing on a day to day basis, doesn't mean they aren't hard at work on something new.

I don't like seeing posts like these to be honest.

As far as dynamic fluid surfaces, they don't exist in UT3. They are a feature of Unreal Engine 3, but not added until after UT3 shipped. I think Gears 2 has them. Funny though that you say they didn't drain cpu because they really did, especially if they were large or many of them were used.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think its about time epic start answering some questions from all the people who spent their hard earned legal tender on their games. Its not even like their ALL busy making a new game is it? Ive not heard anything from epic since GOW2. Dont they have representatives or official forum staff, or are they just ignoring us honest customers, haven't got time for their followers and fans? I can understand..... Forgive me if they really ARE working on UT4, or GOW3 or whatever, but I dont think thats too likely, we would have had hints dropped by now. GOW and UT were hyped for ages before release (like with most mega game companies, not to compare them with the EVIL greed fueled EA; they're much worse).

Still, theres too many posts with a million views and no answers. Epic are the ones making the games, so why aren't they sharing that knowledge? Do they just expect us to run the forum ourselves in the vain hope that one day, in a blue moon, some next epic guy will say something. Dont get me wrong, I think epic make some of the best games out there, but Im really starting to feel ignored now, almost like they've sold me out of my £30, which isnt peanuts to the working class individual. I know it might not even occur to some people with big money, they're made of it so they dont care.

I find it hard to believe, that with the advanced technology in their engine; they cant even hire a handful of people (from epic) to work the forums.

Sorry to go on like a scorned and bitter c*nt, but thats how i feel. If I just robbed the game, then I wouldn't give 2, but I payed good money for this, so I when I ask 8 questions, on the "OFFICIAL" forum, its pretty strange when only 3/8 questions have been answered over the course of a fortnight (thats a generalisation, for anyone who wants to make stupid snap-back comments).

Respect to the forum members though, Ive learnt some good stuff from them (Marilol, FakeTruth, they either know or they dont. I dont expect everyone to be a genius (thats why were here right?), but come on epic. sort it out.

Well, now its time to roll a bifta. I still got respect for epic, I just wish they were more responsive in this field. I heard UT4 is coming in 2012 (maybe just rumours), so im hoping that can be a start to something better, because i dont expect the game to be anything short of that.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic How do you make UT200x style fluidsurface?

How do you make UT200x style fluidsurface?

EZ all, I think the water in UT3 looks pretty thirst quenching even without the ripples and waves you used to get when you could use the 'Fluidsurfaceinfo' from UT2003/2004, but the thing is, how much better would the water look if it was an animated mesh like before. Dont tell me epic took this feature out of this version (I thought it looked really good, and didnt drain CPU either). So I'd just like to know if its possible to still get that same 'interactive' water surface in UT3.

peace, thanks in advance!
Working...
X