Timed Tutorial Message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timed Tutorial Message

Basically, when I display a tutorial message, it displays "?int?UTGameUI.Tutorials.MYMESSAGE" when it should display "MYMESSAGE". I know from here that I need to have it in my localization file, but where does the file go and what exactly is the syntax for the message in the file?

It's 3:00 AM, I'm going to bed now

Comment

Ive been tryng to figure out how to get rid of that ?int?UTGameUI.tutorials also. So far ive never found a way to get rid of it.

Comment

Well, I know from the thread I linked (wow, the people there were very helpful) and from opening DM-RisingSun that the field doesn't actually contain your message- it contains the name of the message, as listed in one of the localization files. What I don't know is the syntax for making an INT localization file that contains the message.

[EDIT] If anyone knows where the localization file for that map is stored, it would be very helpful. I could reverse engineer it in a few minutes, and I could have a tutorial up as well, since a few Google searches have told me that this is not at all common knowledge.

[ANOTHEREDIT] OK, did some more searching... dunno how I missed this the irst time but they're in the same folder as the maps in their own packages. How do I get to these packages? UEd won't open them.

Comment

Originally posted by Shivan Hunter View Post
          Also, random question: is there another way of getting text to appear in the middle of the screen for a controlled duration?

Comment

Communicating with the player is a pain in the ***, had these issues myself.

You might want consider using "text to speech". just create a new sound and enable this feature, it actually isn't that hard to figure out.

Just an alternate idea, maybe it'll work for ya

Comment

I was looking through a custom map yesterday (VCTF-Skyscraper I think) and I found this node in the kismet: PlayAnnouncement
              It displays large text in the top right corner of the screen. I can't wait to use it.

Comment

I'd rather have text in the center of the screen- ideally, I want white text in the middle of a completely black screen (the black screen can be done with postprocessing if need be).

I know tutorial messages are at the top of the screen, but with the horrendously crippled system for displaying text, I'll take what I can get.

Comment

Have you considered just attaching a bilboard to the players face for a while then destroying it?

It would just be a jpg of text that you could attach to the player, adjust it so it's right in front of the camera, then do a matinee for the opacity to fade it out. Might work for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X